1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

first cool song you could play

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thadg, Jun 4, 2007.

1. thadg

thadg

Mar 21, 2007
    What was your first song you could play and 1st cool song you could play. I need some ideas of beginner songs. I can play some songs but their just boring.

2. Jamiroquai - "When you gonna Learn"...

Later... "Too young to die"

The ol' almight Stu Zender still gets a lot of my playing time...

3. DeathHands

DeathHands

Apr 10, 2007
    Georgia, ew.
    NIB by Black Sabbath

Good by Better Than Ezra(Really great rhythm help)

4. Higher Ground (the RHCP version).

Then again, I could slap acceptably before I could play a major scale. :D

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it was "Skintight" by the Ohio Players.

6. toaster2k3

toaster2k3

May 21, 2007
    Closer to the Heart-Rush

The Trees-Rush

7. Settin' myself up for Adam Clayton jokes but the first song I learned to play on bass was U2's "I Will Follow". Wish I still had the bass-a late 60's Ric 4001.

8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i learned a lot of rage against the machine and sublime songs early on. "bulls on parade" was my first i think.

9. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    ok well when if first started playing bass, i was going through a nirvana phase, so all i learned was nirvana songs, then after that i went through a RATM/Audioslave phase, and i learned a bunch of RATM and the whole first Audioslave album. I then discovered more bands and learned many songs. My phase now is Queens of the Stone Age.

10. Not sure, but it was something off Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil. Just don't remember what.

11. try "soul to squeeze" by RHCP

12. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    A Remark You Made by Weather Report

One of the first songs I learned. I find it quite easy but to get the phrasing down how Jaco plays it is tricky.

Some other songs I learned were some basic stuff like Paranoid by Black Sabbath and stuff like that

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Wrathchild - Iron Maiden. The guy that sold me my first bass taught it to me.

Sweet Child 'O Mine - First real cool song I learned. It is a heavy song but has a very fun funky flowing rythym.

Lately, Interstate Love song by Stone Temple Pilots is the coolest and most fun to play song I currently play at gigs. I just love the chorus progression.

14. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Gervais, Oregon
    Started off covering the bass part for the school jazz ensemble i teach... So the first I could play was "Groovin'", and a couplea christmas jazz arrangements. The first "not a part in my school ensembles" song I learned was "Lady Madonna"... Working on "New World Man"...

15. Portrait of Tracy :bag:

Early Kiss was probably the first stuff I could actually play.

16. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Not the first song(s) I learned to play, but the first "cool" songs were any number of Rush and Black Sabbath. That is all my first band ever chose to play. So I will put it at "La Villa Strangiato" (sans solo) and War Pigs.

:bassist:

17. punky

punky

May 26, 2007
    TeXas
    It was either God of Thunder (KISS), The Zoo (Scorpions) or Takin' Me Back (Cheap Trick).
    All classic tunes, imo.

18. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    First song I learned how to play was Metallica's Seek and Destroy many, many years ago

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    (I'm a) Man by the Yardbirds (I'm an Old Man)
    Jim B
    LOG Roller #131

20. I think it was Cryin' by Joe Satriani

Kickass, guitar,bass, and drums tune.

Especially when you have a couple friends to play it with.

Its a nice song to play in between songs at a gig.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021