Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First custom bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Feb 10, 2004.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello all! It's been awhile since I last posted, but I still have the same dilemma that I had back then, with a difference now. I want to build a custom bass (well not build it myself, but have my friend, who is a wonderful luthier build it), and I'm not sure what specific details I want, thats where you come in .

I'll start by giving you some vague idea of the type of sound I want, and what few specifics I know so far.

*Six strings-seems like the perfect number to me.
    *Powerful, yet not too "rockish" in the low end- I guess that would mean not too midrangey? (btw please give any suggestions for woods and pickups that would help my sound)
    *Basically clear, basic, balanced tone throughout (I know I'm asking a lot , but please help)
    *At least 24 frets, I like to chord and solo(Jaco only needed a 18 or so fret 4-string )
    *Fretted
    *Darker, rich (looking) tone woods, my friend can get good stuff, cheap (koa, Braz. rosewood!!!)
    *I like the idea of a solid, Anthony Jackson-esque single-cut (I LOVE his tone on Triangulo and Calle 54)
    *Most likely 36" scale length (no physical hand stretching problems, so unless this totally ruins the upper range (please comment on this), I'm decided)
    *I like the idea of really solid yet basic tone (again single pick-up like AJ perhaps). What is the sweet spot? I really don't know that much about electronics.
    *Neck Through (more sustain, right?)

Thank you very much for putting up with my questions and tedious stat spewing!

Please reply ASAP, and I will be ever so thankful!!!