1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Custom

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yamdigame, Apr 23, 2006.

1. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
  2. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    hmmm you're going to need to use whatever type of pickup it was designed for, or else have sloppy gaps (or have to rout the p/u cavities bigger)... I wouldn't do it myself, but if that's the body style you're looking for and you can deal with it being pre-routed, go for it.

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    quite honestly, building a bass is almost easy. i have the help of a woodshop teacher and 2 teacher's aids, but honestly i could have figured things out without their help. they just made things go smoother. if you know how to use a band saw and a router, you're good to go. it's not hard to use a sander or anything.

by the way that body actually looks pretty sweet.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, it's easy for some and very hard for others judging by the vast variance in the quality of basses that I've seen out there ;).

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    My main concerns:

* the fret slots - exactly how wide they are. If the slots are too wide, it is going to be a real pain to get the frets to properly seat without using epoxy and cauls.

* trussrod adjustment - that is one strange set-up. Without having the opportunity to inspect this further, I'd really be leery of having that much wood removed right where the neck and headstock join together ... this is traditionally the weakest part of the neck, and using a spoke adjustment there is asking for trouble

As for the p/u sizing, so long as the p/u's you plan to use are the same size or larger I see no problem. Looks like you'll also need a control cavity cover

all the best,

R