1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First day with an SVT 610HLF (questions!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watchitmike, Jul 19, 2012.

1. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    Just picked up a used SVT 610HLF yesterday. It seems to be in really good shape. Got it from the original owner who thinks he bought it around '05. A few imperfections in the tolex but under the grill looks immaculate!

As I'm coming from an 810E, of course I have a question about the horn. I plugged my setup in (Fender Standard Jazz / Sunn 1200s / no pedals). I have used it many times with with the 610 at shows where it was the backline cab and it has sounded amazing... better than the 810 even, which is why I picked it up.

My question is... with a tube driven sound (not a super intense one by any means), the amp not turned up to stage volume and the horn set to -4db, would it be normal for the grime in the high end to be punching through the 6 drivers?

Honestly, my first reaction was "uh oh is there something wrong with the horn/crossover?" but as I brought the master up, the drivers buried it and made it sound more at home.

The previous owner showed it to me with an SVT 4-Pro plugged in and it sounded great. Maybe I was worrying over nothing?

2. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    Gonna be checking this out again as soon as I get out of work. Any insights?

3. I've only used this cab a cuppla times. Not quite sure exactly what u mean. "Grime" - you mean tube overdrive??
    If so, I'd recommend turning the horn off completely. They never sound good with any grit/dirt goin on.
    Sounds about normal to me. I had a 410hlf & passed it for a sealed, tweeter-less 610.
    I was able to over load the 410 pretty easily with a 300w tube amp, but the 610 Ampeg, I dunno.... My NV610 could take all I could throw at it.

4. watchitmike

watchitmike

Mar 7, 2007
    I guess my description wasn't the best. I'm gonna try to record it in action and post the clip. I only got to play through the cab for a little bit before work this morning and I didn't bring the master up past 1 because it was still early. I'll be looking at it again within the hour and going a little louder.

Basically it just seemed like at that low master level, the highs coming out of the horn were very crackly and hissy.

I'm still unfamiliar with the cab so I'm wondering if at low amp volumes, the horn will naturally sound like garbage, or if I just have a busted horn.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You have a busted horn if I'm understanding you correctly, and I think I am. The good news is they're not super expensive and you can get them from Ampeg's parts dept. But tweeters don't like distortion, so if you're using it, my advice is to leave the horn off.

6. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Its a great cab, try standing about 15 feet away from it (when you get it working properly) and you will be stoked! I had one for years.. loved it. Never used the horn either, like stated above. Its a different beast than the 810, IMO you gotta hear it from a distance. The front ports are a trip to get used to when you've been rocking the 810.