First DB Lesson

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ZuluFunk, May 5, 2005.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I took everyone's advice and found an instructor.
    David Kaczorowski put up with me for a whole hour!!!
    Good guy...and he'd have to be to teach me.

Well, other than talking when I should be listening, maybe it wasn't so bad. I'm just hyper :hyper: to get going. :rollno:

I got back to my place and spent another 2 hours working on the drills he gave me for now (until my Simandl book is delivered).

I had a couple of weeks of fiddling around before getting any instruction and already have habbits that I have to break (left hand stuff of course). He did help me out right off the bat with my right hand and it made a big difference.

Also, it's obvious I have to bone up on my scales, reading, and theory. Not just ancillary issues I come to find.
    I clearly wasn't doing very much right. I'm glad he's got me working on pretty basic stuff. I have plenty of time to spend working on this.

Really shows how easy playing BG is...but I think I'm hooked on the big box.

Dave also assured me that my DB was in good shape and set up well. That made me feel better because I really wasn't sure. That may sound stupid, but I wasn't certain if there was a problem with my bass because of a dead sounding A string...luckily it just had to do with my pizz technique.

Dave's a good guy...let's see if he has the patience to deal with me!!! :help:
  2. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Excellent! Hope you make it past the laborious play-boring-drills and make-dying-cow-noises stage. Sounds like you have more than enough enthusiasm to stick with it, though.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Feel the POWER of the dark side, Zuluke...feel it in your veins, coursing up through the tips of your fingers...unleash your anger, nay, your FURY on those nearly immovable bridge cables. They won't break like those puny cat hairs on your toy bass. Your rage IS your power, Zuluke...give in to it, and the musical universe shall be yours...

4. The force strong with him is...
  5. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    I was expecting Obi Ed Kenobua to tell of a disturbance in the force (last night around 7-8pm Eastern time...) like a million basses crying out at once and then suddenly silenced.

Right about the time David was having this conversation with me:

Dave: "He is too old! Yes. Too old to begin the training."

ZuLuke: "But I've learned so much"

Dave: [Big sigh] "Will he finish what he begins?"

ZuLuke: "I won't fail you. My hands aren't even sore...see."

Dave: "Oh, they will be. . . THEY WILL BE!"

Of course, the very next scene is me trying to drive north on I-295...reminding me of the very next scene...the Falcon maneuvering through an asteroid field.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  7. flint

Aug 24, 2004
    were there any suggestions for reading up on theory?
  8. Ready are you guys for May 19th I can see.
  9. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    You know, it's just that I'm super rusty. I'm sure if it's a huge prob, he'll recommend. For know I just have to say..."wait, what do you mean by that?...Oh, OK I remember....sorta."