1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First decent combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperMaximo93, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Hey guys!
    OK, so last school holiday I saved up and bought myself a new bass, and this coming holiday I'll be getting a new combo!

I have a maximum budget of about £250, and I'm looking for something that'll basically be good for practice, and jamming with friends, but being futureproof aswell (my computer hardware side is nagging me about this :rolleyes:). Basically so it will be able to cope with small gigs (like a little school gig or something like that) and probably be able to attach a cab to it too, when I eventually get to that stage in my bass playing (even though I may have bought a head by then, but meh ;) ). That may be a bit much to ask; if it is, then fine.

A couple of amps I've got my eyes on are the Fender Rumble 100 or 100/210, and the Laney RB5 or RB4. Anyone had experience with these amps? I'd also like to know what you'd reccomend.

Thanks guys! :)
    Max

2. SWR Workingman's 15 combo. You could find them used for about the price I believe.

[​IMG]

3. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I have the Rumble 210. I like it a lot. Plenty loud for basement or garage jamming. I wouldn't plan on gig'ing with it though unless you're going to run it into a PA. It isn't light, it weighs about 63 lbs. (Sorry we dumb Americans don't use the metric system).

Another one to consider, if you can find it over there across the pond, is the Acoustic B200 - 15" and 200 watts. I've heard nothing but great things about it. Should be in the price range you are looking for, about $349 USD

If you can find something used near you or can afford shipping on a used item, I would definitely consider trying to find a good used combo as well.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Ashdown electric blue 180... then add an extension later on definitely.

Also, whatever combo you get make sure its at least a 2-10 or 1-15. You'll get alot more volume with more speaker surface area.

5. If you're near to Lancaster there's an SWR Black Bassic available for £215 on eBay.

Or if you're near to London, someone is selling an Eden Nemesis NC250 starting at £150.

6. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Thanks for the helpful comments guys!
    It's soo annoying that the Acoustic B200 is nowhere to be found in the UK from what I can see from google :crying: Also I forgot about the Ashdown, it actually ticks all the right boxes, but some reviews I've read say it distorts quite quickly when the volume is turned up.

On the topic of used stuff, what's the typical lifespan of a combo (say if it had been gigged with at high volume, to take a worst case cenario)? Also what brands are good for buying used? I've read Peavey is supposed to be good.

Thanks! :)

7. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    Hartke KickBack 12

Michele

8. IMHO a well built combo can last you a lifetime. As long as you don't blow any of the circuitry, the worst you'll ever have to worry about is repairing/replacing the speaker cone. Peavey will probably outlast all of us AND Keith Richards when it comes to quality, and it certainly is dirt cheap. Ashdown is another reliable used brand, as is Hartke.

9. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    I have the Laney RB5 and it's not bad. It's loud and cuts through nicely. It is possible to add an extension cab. I'd say the RB4 is only powerful enough for practising/jamming.

The RB5 has lots of mids whereas the Rumble 100 has lots of bass. I haven't gigged with a rumble but I suspect the Laney will cut through more and go louder. I'd recommend trying them both and seeing which you prefer.

I now have a Hartke LH500 and 215 and think that sounds excellent and goes very loud. I haven't tried any smaller Hartke gear but it might be worth trying one of them too.

10. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Cool :D
    I think I'll probably end up going for a Peavey, there are quite a few on ebay, and they all look pretty good. Would you reccomend I get a used head and cab if I could? Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pevey-450-Max-bass-head-Peavey-4x10-TVX-Cab_W0QQitemZ190296693520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item190296693520&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1121|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
    I won't be buying that one but you get the point. What brands are good for these? The same Peavey, Ashdown, Hartke, etc?

11. My main combo during my early club years was a Peavey. I sold it: It's still getting heavy use and blowing windows out back East and sending me hate-mail between sets :spit:. Thang was so loud it only required "assistance" in the larger clubs. And contrary to the CW, any decent powerful Peavey combo gives you a broad brush of EQ-options.

And, when all is said and done, long after we're all gone (hopefully to a nicer place), Peaveys will roam the earth. That is CW I wholeheartedly agree with.

12. try the new fender bassman series...

13. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    I've been reading up a bit on Peavey and I think I might go for one! They seem really cheap for what they are. One thing though; I've read that they can sometimes sound a bit flat/sterile/toneless/whatever. Is it just that the amp has little influence on the sound and just amplifies it more or less? If it is, then effects (next on my GAS list :p) or an external equaliser of some sort can sort it out right?

Thanks! :smug:

14. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Oh and also, how much do you reckon is the most I should be paying, for say, a TNT 115 or something like that?

15. The sound-peeps in the (NYC) Village clubs were and remain brutally, uh, honest.

My band played in area-clubs for a good deal of years in the 80s and 90s.

I always got the 'thumbs up' for my bass-EQ. All I used back then was a 2-band-EQ four-string Ibanez Roadstar + a Peavey TNT 115 (pre-black-widow). I actually was offended by the "rumour" about the Peavey "sound," so I asked the top soundperson I could find: My band was opening for an international act. So I asked their guy. He was very good and he earned it the hard way. Anyhow, he started laughing so hard he darn-near needed tranquilizers when I asked my 'innocent' Q. His answer? "It's an amp. Tweak the EQ properly, let us help you if necessary, and there you go. Peavey is excellent in the right hands. But like anything else, it's terrible in the wrong ones."

Great lesson, though I hoped he'd see i2i w/me. But this much?! Whooboy! :hyper:

16. Does it have to be a combo?

With £250 and looking in the right places you could get a semi-decent half stack.

I'd recommend Peavey, as others have. (My first "real" bass amp was a Peavey Firebass and 410TFX).

I've seen some peavey amps going cheap, and the cabs usually don't go for much either (for instance, got my old peavey 215 D BW for just £75 a couple years back :) ).

Heck, you may even be able to get a full(ish) stack out of that. Tail end of last year saw an auction for a Peavey 1x15, 2x10 and amp (either a Firebass or Nitrobass) that ended up going for £180-odd!

17. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Cool, hopefully I'll not do a bad job of using the EQ when I get the amp!
    And no, it doesn't need to be a combo! I'd love a stack, in fact :D It's just that its more likely for combos to be within my price range. I've seen a couple on ebay and people seem to get some serious steals. Hopefully I'll have the same luck :hyper:
    Oh, and another quickie (I just keep on churning out questions :bag: this one is off-topic-ish); the Peavey guitar amps should be just as good, right? I know this is a bass forum but there are some guitar players out there. My guitar playing buddy will need a new amp soon after he gets his new guitar, as we both agree that they sound like crap (but its a cheap beginner thing so you can't blame him).

Thanks guys! :)

18. I'm not a fan of the cheap SS peavey guitar amps (tho they sound pretty good for bass, but I digress). The cheapy tube one (valveking), is an ok-ish amp.

I'm a massive fan of the 5150/6505, 5150-II/6505+, Penta and Classic series guitar amps.

I see there are a few other ones out now that I havent heard, the 3120s and Rosington Penta. Will need to have a listen to those somewhere.

There are also plenty cheap-ish and good Marshalls around. Quite fond of the JCM800 and JCM900.

Another one that's good, and not so well known of are the oldish Trace Elliot tube guitar amps. I've got a "Speed Twin H100" which is a damned nice amp :)

19. I'm going to jump in on this topic if you dont mind :)
    I'm in a similar situation and I'm looking at the Peavey TKO 115, anyone had any experience with it?
    I was also looking at the Ibanez Soundwave 100, anyone know if those are any good?

Thanks

20. Never heard the Ibanez, played the Peavey a few times. Solid 'little' combo :)