1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First decent combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SuperMaximo93, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bodhidrop

Bodhidrop

Mar 27, 2009
    How about the solid state Ampeg combos (And Heads) ?
    Considering upgrading and upsizing. I was told that they're "The warmest solid state out there"...and they DO sound great. Anyone had any experience gigging or recording with them? An similar/better alternative ?

2. I think they are overpriced.

I wouldn't say they sound great either. But that IMO of course. Again, having a look around can get you some great deals. If I was wanting to spend a bit more cash, I wouldnt be getting one of the 'peg SS amps. A hybrid maybe, but not one of the SS ones. If you were after that warm sound, I'd keep with whatever setup I already had, and buy a Tech 21 sansamp BDDI or the new VT pedal.

And when I had some real cash I'd get a real deal.

Worked for me.

3. RMSSS

RMSSS

Mar 25, 2009
    MI
    I'm new to this forum, but have significant sound experience and picked up a combo that's made me a very happy bass player.

I'm scared to post this because I'm not sure what the prevailing opinion is around here. Hopefully it's not as snobby as some other forums.

Anyway, here ya go: Line 6 Low Down. I have 2 of them. The bigger 300W one, and the little 75 studio one.

I'm not saying they're equivalent to a tube amp, but here's the thing. They are flexible. For someone that is not sure what they want (me) for a given situation, the potential sound quality from either of these is simply outstanding (tweak to your own version of outstanding).

The 300W unit has a 15 and horn tweeter. Little one is just a 10" speaker. However, if you're playing any sizable location (church, auditorium, school, bar...) there should be an appropriate PA. Each amp has a direct output. Just plug it in. Sounds great, very loud, no kidding. I think they are basically bass PODs with a tweaked power and speaker stage. Nice design, even if non-traditional.:eyebrow:

There ya go. ... not sure if I'll get the cold shoulder now.:rolleyes:

4. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    That does suck that the Acoustic can't be found in the UK as it seems to be the set-up that would really fit what your looking for in an amp set-up.
    I just picked-up the B220H head w/ 115 cabinet and compared it to my Ampeg BA115HP combo,,, no contest at all,, the Ampeg got returned back to the store.
    The new Acoustic's really are great.

Cheers
    Davyo

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I don't know what's over on your side of the pond ... but keep an eye out for a old Peavey Combo 300 .... loud as hell and has pretty good EQ for a SS amp ..... I've had one for about 25 years and I still use it when I want something small & loud with pretty good tone .... it's never failed me ...and I somewhat abuse my stuff !!!

6. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Yea, the Peavey stuff is pretty good.

SuperMaximo93, one thing that you should really really check out is the soon to be released NEW Peavey TNT and TKO combo amps.

The new TNT and TKO are both up on the Peavey UK website.

Cheers
    Davyo

7. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    I *might* be able to get my dad to loan me some money to get this next week: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190297085084. I won't have the whole £250 before 2.5 weeks time, see. What do you guys think? I'll hopefully be able to afford another cab on top of that if the price doesn't rise too much, so I can keep one at my to-be drummers house (or shed) (one of my mates has always wanted to play drums but didn't have the space so borrowed my bass instead... Didn't take long for him to feel that it wasn't right and now he's decided to make space for a drum kit! Not so good for the bass population but me and my guitarist friend weren't going to find a drummer otherwise... :smug:). I might wait on though to see if I can get a better deal...

As for new stuff... I'd rather go for a used amp and cab rather than a new combo tbh :ninja:

Thanks! :)

8. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
  9. Definatly a decent cab if it stays at the low price. It's a shame you didn't have a head already because you could have taken it along to try it out.

I'm a bit skeptical about the 15" speaker swap the guy has done, but it could be fine.

"moth eaten" is fine as long as the speakers and electronics are working :)

10. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Cool. How much do you reckon is the maximum I should pay for it? (1 bid already ooh-err :p)

Thanks!

11. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    my vote would go towards ashdown.. played one and was very impressed.. couldnt kill that thing. and trust me i tried the guy at the music shop was like "abuse the hell out of it.. it can take it" and it did

12. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Oooh... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200-watt-Bass-speaker-cab-2-way-1x15-1X-10-speakers_W0QQitemZ130296215494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item130296215494&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1121|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318.
    Can't go wrong for 25 quid can you? :hyper: Even if it is custom (I'll be trying to get the other one too, don't worry, just need an spare to leave at the drummer's place)

EDIT: Is a horn/tweeter/whatever on either amp necessary? What do they do, anyways?

13. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Woot, my mum is letting me borrow £200 as long as I pay her back in 2 weeks (dad's short on cash :p)... Wish me luck on the Peavey cab in 10 mins... :bassist:

Thanks!

14. anyone know if warwicks are any good?
    im looking for a decent practice amp and so far i've come up with..
    Warwick Blue Cab 60
    Peavey MAX 115
    Peavey TKO 115

15. I'm biased: I've got a Warwick Corvette fiver Std and I rave like an old-school lunatic about it, 'cause it's more bass than you'll get from Fender and the usual suspects for the price, esp. after the oh-so-sweet Fender price-hikes (bad, real bad).

Anyhow, with attempt @ objectivity here: Do you need to push air? If so, that Warwick might not cut it: It's 60W RMS, right, or is last night's drinking still affecting me :spit:

IDK the new Peavey line, but I'll tell you this much: When I was a very young pup gigging the E Coast (yep, USA), all I used was a pre-black-widow Peavey TNT-115. Dig, IDK the Max or TKO line: What wattage does their amps put out WITHOUT extra cabs? Mine put out 100W w/no distortion (unless I chose it) when I played it @ 11. Very few amps truly deliver the wattage they promise, and a 15" is one heck of a speaker in my book if you wanna smack your eager audience in the gut (and isn't that the most basic glory of the bass?).

To me, this is a serious matter to take in mind.

However, if you've got a sound-person on site, well, heck, s/he can hook you up w/DI and your wattage doesn't matter, unless you really really need it to be pushing air besides you. Warwick's 'da bomb in my new 30-something book. But as good as that Co. is, you've gotta ask yourself: Will I have good soundperson assistance? If yes, I'd go w/the Warwick, even though it ain't made in the USA and I'm a freaked-out Red-White-and-Blue combat-veteran and a big Peavey fan for less subjective reasons. Doggit: Warwick's just too good, and, unless things have changed, still assembles its amps in Germany and QC is way good, on top of the tip-top amp-specs.

If'n you don't have reliable (or any) sound-support, go with the most high-powered combo. Forget those myths Re Peavey EQ: You can get what ya need if the amp has a graphic EQ. Peavey builds tanks; my old TNT 115 is still taking no prisoners (I sold it :bawl:) in the DC/Balt area. And lemme tell you: To me, to the sound-guyz/girlz and to the audiences (this includes snots), my sound was good.

Good Luck.

16. Aside from the more elegant-sounding overdrive obtained w/tubes, forget the myths: Tubes are electronic dinosaurs, replaced around WWII by transistors. Tubes are fragile, heat up, and do you want all that fussing?

All that "mojo" talk Re tubes is just that: It's magical talk n' thinkin,' and not worth the trouble if'n you lug equipment from place to place often and thus subject it to hard knocks from the road and from, uh, falls. SS rules: Just don't overdrive 'em. If'n you want OD sound, use a pedal for that. That's nearly as good and I don't care what the tube-lovers say. When cars switched to fuel-injection, it took yrs to silence the carb-lovers. Some still shriek. Hey: Use what you like and leave the rest of us Joes and Janes alone, willya?

Line Six: What a brilliant concept, and it works! As much as people whine about the "plywood" encasing the Line 6, uh, line (is that still true?), I love those crazy-cheap versatile lil' tricksters.

You like 'em? Go w/'em and may God Be With you.

17. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45540
    Thoughts? Its a Laney amp and cab for those not bothered to click the link :p Amp is 150w, cab is 4x10 at 240w at 8 ohms. £150. I'm a bit wary that there's no effects loop (or is there? can't see one in the pics), but I can plug effects straight into the normal inputs right?

Thanks!

18. I'll disagree with PsyDocHill, I like tube amps for being what they are. Tubes respond differently to transistors. You can get emulation software close, but it's still not quite the same. I will agree it is only a component, nothing magic, but tubes and transistors don't work the entirely same way ;)

Best thing to do is try and see what you like and go with what your ears tell you, and I've never had anything sit and cut the mix as perfectly as my current setup.

SuperMaximo93,

I'm probably a bit biased here, but I'm not a huge fan of Laneys. Some of the one's I've tried have been ok, some have been flat out terrible. Is there any way you could try first and see how you find it?
    Unless it is well hidden somewhere it doesnt appear to have an effects loop. The BC series does have an effects loop tho (looking at manuals). I also had an opportunity at a similar setup with an additional 115 cab for about that price a few years back. Dare say you could always try and work him down a bit.

My main concern is that it is a 150 watt amp, 4 ohm min load. You are getting an 8 ohm speaker with it. Without knowing the detail's, I'd guess that at 8 ohms you are going to get about 90 watts. Which isn't terribly loud at all.

19. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Hm, OK. I can't try it unfortunately; the guy lives too far away (I'd also have to get a courier if I decide to buy it).

http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=45117
    I could ask for his lowest and see if I can get it uber cheap, because of the buzzing. Hopefully the buzzing won't be too bad in a band mix. My dad and I might be able to fix we're lucky. Plus the seller lives close, so I could try it out. I'm really just throwing out options here tbh.