1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First double bass purchase?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Kindofblue, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Kindofblue

Kindofblue

Oct 13, 2008
    Canada
    Hey everyone,

I have been playing electric bass for 6 years and Double Bass for the last year and a half. In the past year I was renting my double bass from Long and Mcquade (Canadian version of GC?) and with the steep prices of their mediocore made house brand Upright Basses, it does not seem practical to buy one from them let a lone the additional things I would need to get done (adjustable bridge,pickup, new strings, set up etc) I am on a budget and am practicing double bass but not gigging as much on double bass although, I do plan to because I am planning on playing both styles of basses.

Have any of you played a Palatino Electric Upright Bass? My bass teacher told me to steer clear of most electric basses except the Yamaha Silent Bass which is again out of my price range. I am wondering what everyones opinion is on the Palatino and if it is able to be played with a bow? I tried a Dean upright bass and it was not really possible to play acro.

I would like to hear everyones opinion on this and its something I would be playing for the next two years until I am studying music post secondary and by that time will purchase a 3/4 double bass.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to hearing everyones input!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Uhh boy. I would suggest that that you read the newb links here for a long time. No Palatino, no Silent bass. You're right about the Dean, it's useless.

More importantly... if you're planning on playing a double bass, stop looking at EUBs. Oranges and apples. Mercury and Pluto.

Take a big deep breath. Rent something playable for awhile. Read the links here and educate yourself.

3. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    That was great :p
    But if you want a real double bass, start looking for local luthiers!

4. I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but if you happen to be in Ontario, I highly recommend going to Riedstra's Violin Shop. They've got some great basses for great prices, and they really do know their stuff. They could help you pick out a good first bass.

They did for me. I went with my teacher who had scouted some out for me, and narrowed it down to two basses. Then I went home with my Stentor (of which I'm really not sure what the model is).

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    ...and if you're in or near BC get in touch with Jake DeVilliers. he's a member here, so you can search for him or PM me and I'll put you in touch. Great luthier and usually has a few basses around or can help you look for one.

6. How far away are you from being able to own one?

Once i figured out bass playing was going to be my career, i knew i needed to start learning upright ASAP, but didnt have enough money for 8 months or so. So i practiced electric for 4+ hours everyday until i bought my upright. At the end of those 8 months or so, i had enough chops on electric to play ALMOST any gig. Then when i got my upright, i focused solely on that (and have been for the last year).

Point of the story, work the best with what you have until you can get what you want. You don't want an EUB.... its a different/lesser instrument and whatever you learn on EUB will not directly transfer over to the real thing. Save your money, wait till you have 1500-2000 to buy a nice ply with a case/bow/strings/setup etc. itll be worth it in the long run.

7. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Hey OP:

Where are you located in Canada?

8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I just want to thank you all, Marcus especially, for introducing me to two celebrity names that were new for me.

You all got me peeking out of my little cave, a little more than usual.

To the OP, good luck with your bass purchase, whatever you decide. Only input I can offer is pretty unoriginal:

- Shop slowly, carefully, and open-mindedly
    - Try to learn from others' experiences (reading newbie and other shopping threads)
    - Take a bass out on 1-2 week "trial," with a written agreement for a full refund if you don't want it
    - Remember that a bass is much easier to buy than it is to sell; if you don't like it, you may be stuck with it, anyway
    - Don't buy a bass without playing it, having others play it, and having at least one thorough check-up by a bass luthier
    - With double bass purchases, don't forget to have allowances for luthiery costs, a good bow, a bag, and strings.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Kindofblue.... I'm truly sorry that the wheels fell off of this thread. Most likely it will be closed, and that's not fair to you. It was not my intention. Please PM me, and I'll give you my personal contact info if you want to talk about buying a bass. I have some experience.

10. Kindofblue

Kindofblue

Oct 13, 2008
    Canada
    Thanks for the tips to the people who suggested the few luthiers and shops I will check them out! The EUB for me was meant for more back and fourth from school by being able to fit on the bus and train and be able to carry. I plan on owning a double bass like I said, but it was more the transportation that was the issue.
    Does anyone know where in Ontario I can rent to own an instrument? long and mcquade seems possbile but like I said their double basses are not too great.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Depending on where you're going to school, there may be some school basses that you can get started on.

12. I'm pretty sure you can do that at Riedstra's. I must sound like their spokesperson or somethin' by now, but I'm not. :D

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Any chance you can buzz down to NYC to check out basses? That's a bit of a mecca for double basses.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thread cleaned. Let's help this gentleman buy a bass.

15. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Inactive

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    To the OP: If you want a decent EUB for transport, get a 4 string Ergo. If you would like a great reliable upright bass for under a grand, contact K.C. Strings. I love my K.C. Strings upright. I believe i paid about 850 for it and they worked out a payment arrangement with me.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    What new double bass can you buy from K. C. Strings for $850? I couldn't find one on their site-- maybe I missed it.

17. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    If you are going for an EUB I like NS Design

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Probably better to look closer to his home? I dunno... I did great shipping a terrific bass from across the planet, but I don't have much choice here. It's still better to get the player to where there's a bunch of basses, try 'em all out, I think.

19. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I absolutely agree with you. I was just curious about the prospect of a new, $850 bass from K. C. Strings.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021