Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first drop d band or song?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jhamby2000, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jhamby2000

jhamby2000

Jun 14, 2002
    who is the first band to drop d? even if it was just for a song or two. then, who is the band that popularized the practice?

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I know that Metallica did it in '85/'86, The Thing That Should Not Be off of "Mater of Puppets", but I doubt it was the first time....

-Chris

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I believe Mr. Iommi from Black Sabbath was one of first ones to use it frequently.

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think the Drop D tuning has been common among folk/bluegrass players. Rock? Fat Bottom Girls by Queen, Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young, and a lot of Pink Floyd songs come to mind. I don't know who popularized it.

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Bassist Micheal Henderson started doing it in the late 60's with Miles Davis.

6. jhamby2000

jhamby2000

Jun 14, 2002
    a friend of mine said led zeppelin had a song or two in drop d. i don't know if that's true but at least i know now that it goes back that far.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I think your friend is referring to "Moby Dick," off Led Zeppelin II.

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    As primusdude said, it goes way back with Neil Young and even the Beatles. And they're probably just one of the early ones to record with it. I'm plenty sure that it was used many many times before them anyways. Its just another string tuning, its not the Holy Grail or anything.

9. i'm pretty sure it goes way back to the early blues guys.

10. The first song that I noticed was dropped to D was, "Angry Eyes," by Loggins & Messina. I would try to play with the record, but, the first note was off. After about three attempts I realized it was in D.

LOGGINS & MESSINA, THAT'S RIGHT, I'M AN OLD FART! :D

Mike J.

11. Nicktheman

Nicktheman

Mar 27, 2016
    The Beatles "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and Led Zeppelin "Moby Dick" both were drop D and came out in 69. Not sure if those were the first though.

12. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Lennon did Norwegian Wood in Drop D...(also capoed @ 2nd fret)

13. Wavy

Wavy Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Kanukistan