First Effect pedal/thing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, Jun 3, 2001.

1. I currently own a Fender P bass Deluxe and an Aria Pro B30 and i am looking into buying some effects. What would you reccomend, i play mostly Red Hot Chili Peppers and RATM funk type stuff and a littl bit of punk, and a lot of bit of jazz.
  2. Something like the Electroharmonix Bassballs or a Dunlop Bass Wah would probably do the trick, and not cost you much money.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    play punk, eh. just get a $30 dod distortion crank it up all the way by a $30 sammick and buy a 810 with a 5 million watt head, and you'll be set.
    how can you play jazz and punk? those are almost opposites? well i guess jaco played "Punk Jazz," but that wasn't punk, it was jazz. the line6 bass pod is pretty decent. i don't own one, but i played through one. BAss doesn't really need a lot of effects, though. I think you'll be fine with just a bass. JAco didn't use too many effects, and that was good enough for him, bootsy (i think) only used a mutron III.
  4. At one point Bootsy probably only had a Mutron.. but at one point he had (or still has) a bass with 4 pickups.. one pickup is sent out clean, and the other 3 each have their own effects chain.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Heh... if I had a P-Bass Deluxe I wouldn't use any effects at all so as not to screw up that beautiful tone... but that's just me. ;) As it was said before, distortion might give you some grit. I dunno about the Bass Pod, it's really more of an amp sim than an effects unit. It has effects, but they arren't that adjustable. And kudos to you for staying diverse and playing punk AND jazz!
  6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Why settle for one? Get a multi-effects unit like the rather inexpensive ones by Zoom. (I should know. I bought the BFX whatever, the one with the built in drum machine, for about $240. 8 months later it was $80 to $100 less. Ouch.) As I say, the prices have really come down on those, and that way, you can have chorus, distortion, flange, octave divider and lots more--twenty or thirty effects for the price of two or three stomp boxes. Especially since you seem to play a wide range of material--from punk to jazz. You'll have a more varied tonal palette with a multi-effects unit.
  7. Just cause you play one thing doesn't mean you can't play another eh? :p: I have only been playing since christmas about, so i am just trying everything to find out what I like. And i seem to have found out that i like everything pretty much.