First electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Yamaha Pacifica

6 vote(s)
  2. Squier Strat (affinity or standard)

6 vote(s)
  3. Epiphone Les Paul

2 vote(s)
  4. Epiphone SG

3 vote(s)
  1. I've gotten the GAS for an electric guitar. I had a thread about this previously, but decided to create a poll. I figure I'll get a better response with a poll.

Anyway... click here for the original thread.

I'd like to keep it under $200 for now. Feel free to make more suggestions if something isn't listed that you think is a good option.

2. Squier Strat - as in my reply from you first thread!
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey, me too, i have GAS for a cheapo-yet-nice guitar...

so ill be watching the thread
  4. I voted for th SG myself. I really like that body style. The Les Paul is cool too.

But, the strat is the classic most popular style, and the Yamaha Pacifica is set up just like a strat... I dunno, I've had good experiences with both Squier and Yamaha.

I'll let you guys decide.

Oh, and by the way, 600th post!!!
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'd go with the pacifica
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I vote Yamaha Pacifica 112.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    a friend of mine just picked up a dean strat copy - has the humbucker bridge pickup like a fat strat, pearloid pickguard, foto quilt top, maple board with what looks like abalone inlays, and a beefy tremolo bridge. sounds and plays great, and he picked it up for $129.
  8. How come 2 people have said they voted for the Pacifica - et it still has no votes??? Makes you wonder doesn't it!!!:D
  9. Whoa, it's funny that you posted this thread right now. I just bought a Yamaha Pacifica 402S from M/F and this thing is beautiful and sounds great. It looks almost exactly like a Fender Telecaster, sounds very, very close to one and it has a maple top on it that looks like a Les Paul's top! NO KIDDING! I played guitar years ago, and just wanted to have a half way decent electric to fool around with, but, this thing is not half way decent, it's equal to a MIM Fender! Maybe better. It lists for $579.00 and they're selling them now for $249.00, so I think they're a closeout item. I know this may be a little over your budget, but, I highly recommend getting one of these little beauties. If you close your eyes, you're playing a Tele! They have them in green and amber; I chose amber. To see them quickly, go to the M/F site below, go to the search window and type in: Yamaha Pac

This will give you two pages to look at. The Pacifica 402S is almost at the bottom of the second page, and believe me, the picture does not do it justice. I bought an amp yesterday too; a 20 watt Marshall and this thing sounds great. While I was checking out the amps I plugged in a few Telecasters; this thing is on the money. Workmanship is high. The finish is Gibson like.

Check them out,
    Mike J.
  10. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    i have a GioIbanez that i got for $200. Its a cool guitar for someone just starting. My brother has a Mex SquierStrat and the Ibanez kicks its ass in just about every way.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'd definatley go with the Yamaha Pacifica. We have one of the Tele type models here at my house it is an excellent guitar. Good pickups, stays in tune great, great neck, great feel.

Squier Strats aren't bad either, but I'd definatley go with the Yamaha if I had to choose.
  12. Ok, I just found this package on MF, and ya can't beat the price.

check it out

13. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Yeah, it's probably worth $99. :eek:

If this was a bass package would you recommend it to anyone? Go find a nice used guitar somewhere, they're all over at prices within your budget.
  14. I would recommend you to consider and ibanez, there are many different models under $200 that, at least for my taste, are way much better than the epiphones and the squier strat.. Can´t say anything about the pacifica..
  15. Hey GhaosGwar, that sounds like a plan. M/F I've found has some pretty good deals if you look throughout the entire site, and do it everyday. They add/delete stuff all the time. If you get it, good luck, man.

Mike J.
  16. I found a refurbished Epiphone SG on MF for $129. I'm really considering going for it.

from what I have read, the Squier strat, as relaible as it is, might be difficult for people with larger hands. I chose bass in the first place because I have large hands.

I'm gonna hit up the music store as soon as they open and get a feel for some geetars.

I really dig the olive green color on the SG, though, so if I like the feel for it, I'll plug it in and see what it sounds like.

Hopefully by the end of the week, my decision will be made.

Keep on voting guys, I'm gonna try em all out!
  17. Ghaos, if you have big hands, try to get a guitar with a 25 1/2 inch scale as opposed to the standard 24 3/4 inch scale. The longer scale is a little more comfortable for those with big mits. ;)

Mike J.
  18. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I'm a sucker for a Les Paul, so that's what I voted for. Even though it's not a true Gibson Les Paul I think the Epiphone would be nice to play around with. I considered getting one myself for a while, but decided to buy some bass gear and a computer instead.
  19. I tried the Strat, and although it sounds good, it didn't really feel comfortable. I played the Les Paul, and found it too small for me. I played probably half a dozen other, and i liked the sound of the SG the best. It felt fun to play, and although it still seemed small, I realized any guitar is gonna feel small after the bass.

So, I placed my order on Musicians friend for the olive green refurbished Epiphone SG. for $129, it was the second cheapest guitar they had available. the only cheaper guitars were the Squier Bullets.

So, the decision has been made, now I just gotta wait til it gets here. :D