Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First "Eminent" gig

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FretNoMore, Aug 31, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Screwed up my courage and played my first gig - at a wedding - with the Eminence electric upright about a week ago. Worked like a charm and I got compliments both on its looks and sound! I'm not very skilled at it yet, but as I played it mainly on slower jazz tunes (My Romance, My Funny Valentine, etc) I managed at least decent intonation... :)

It does have a sound that an electric bass can't do, and for some songs it's SO right. The other band members said I should definitely use it again, so I guess I got away with it! It was fun, hope I get to play a similar gig again soon!

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Congrats. What'd you use for amplification?

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I keep experimenting with various setups, but at the moment this is what I do:

I have a small K&K Pure Preamp that I bought from Bob Gollihur (very helpful guy, thanks! Buy something from him! :)) connected to an EBS Drome 12" combo for monitoring, and direct to the PA for FOH sound. I use the same setup for my electric bass but with a SansAmp Bass Driver DI instead of the K&K. The SansAmp is only active for the electrics even if it also divides the signal to both PA and combo. The LS-2 line switch makes it easy to switch basses quickly between songs, I just step on the LS-2 and the SansAmp.

"As that probably was quite confusing, here's a picture I prepared earlier" (OK, I know I should be working instead... :))

[​IMG]

There's a bunch of different possible combinations of the boxes above, this one does not produce the best sound for either bass per se, but it's practical on stage.

My PA is a Mackie 1604VLZ mixer, a Crown MacroTech amp to EV300 speakers on top of Mackie active subs. Plus various effects, eq and compressor thingies, and some el cheapo floor monitors.

4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Have you tried using the Sansamp for the EUB? Just for fun, you may want to try putting both basses into the Sansamp. The only problems come if you can't get enough sound from the electric to match the EUB. IMO the Sansamps make great buffer preamps.

I have been experimenting along the same lines. A Tech 21 Acoustic DI replaces your BDDI and I add a compressor pedal to the electric signal. So the signal chain for my Fender is bass - Boss lmb3 - AB switch - Sansamp - amp for the UB it's bass- AB switch - Sansamp - amp. My Sansamp is operating off of Phantom Power from the PA mixing board.

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Allright, very similar setup! I also have other pedals (compressor, chorus, and other EBS ones) in the chain, just didn't include them in the picture. I only use them for the electric bass.

I bought the K&K preamp partly for its bass/mid/high EQ, the BDDI doesn't have a midrange control. I would like to try the Acoustic DI, perhaps I should go visit my local music store.

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The Acoustic DI is a very nice piece. I like it for both basses, but the sweepable midrange control really helps with the DB. At the moment I am using it as the only preamp into my Stewart Power amp. Between the tone controls on the bass, the enhance knob on the Boss, and the Sansamp, I figure I have enough tone controls already. The Bassmax on my big bass doesn't need much other than tweeking for the room. So far I have been able to set the Sansamp for the DB and use the other stuff to get the sound I want on the electric.

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Anders, you are the first person that I know who uses the EBS Drome. What's your experience with it, what do you feel about it. (I expect a bump, but not before a moderator wakes up...)

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I love the Drome 12" combo. For its size it's quite loud, and has loads of extra features. I used to have a big bass rig (Ampeg preamp, effects rack, Crown amp, 2 4x10 speakers) but just got tired of carrying all the stuff. Now I use the Drome as a monitor on stage and let the PA handle the volume. It is not powerful enough to cut it alone with a rock drummer, but as a monitor it's great. I've tried hard to get everyone to bring down the sound level on stage and everyone is playing better for it. I have had the Drome since before I got the Eminence, and I can't say whether it's the best acoustic amp. It does have a mid/notch filter and a quite powerful EQ so it works well. I used to own the small GK200MB combo (before the big rig) and I'm still kicking myself for selling it, that must have been the ultimate in portability. One thing to consider though, to me the Eminence did not sound good plugged directly into the Drome, the K&K preamp did that trick. I guess the Drome and the Realist pickup didn't like each other.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

DUNDERHETT!! You vill NICHT sprechen about ze AMPLIFIERZZ in ze BASSES Forum!!!Yah, und if you do, you vill suffer ZE CONZEQUENCESSS!!!! :mad: :mad:

(Pause for monacle adjustment and straightening of tunic...)

Seriously, I've been wondering about this thing myself. Feel free to continue the discussion even after the moderators wake up, and if you decide that you need to get the thread split and half moved to AMPS, you have only to ask.