First encore, unfortunately

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Mar 8, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    So I've been playing since 85, always in original bands though. I finally break down and join a cover band 2 years ago. The place is packed Saturday night, dance floor packed the whole last set. We play the last song, and end around 5 after 2. We start putting down our instruments, and the crowds yelling "one more". The singer asks "what do you want to hear"? And they yell back.....MUSTANG SALLY :bawl: We played it, the crowd loved it, what can you do?
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    What would you rather do...

...Play Mustang Sally for a full venue, or play your favorite song (which may be great!) to a bunch of emty chairs?...
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have actually played that song THREE times in one night at the request of the crowd. I hate it, but it's their money and I like the tips.
  4. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    if you want to be a success, you gotta play stuff people know and like.

it's the way the game is played.

I like when people are having a good time - my personal taste in music nothwithstanding.

I'd play the Hokie Pokie if I thought it would work!
  5. jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i wish my drummer would agree to that...we've not learned a ton of stuff, just because he didint like 'em.
  6. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I generally dislike encores. I'm usually very exhausted by the end of the third set, and sometimes drunks don't understand that when the houselights come on it means that the night is over. Still, as has been mentioned in this thread, it's part of the game.

Luckily, I don't think I've played Mustang Sally in about 2 1/2 years.
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Similar incident a couple weeks ago...

I've unplugged my bass and started packing up. People start yelling Sweet Home Alabama. Uggghhghhhgh.... My guitarist breaks into the riff and won't stop so we all join in. Absolutely tore the place down with it though. Even the cliche songs can be fun when the crowd is amped.
  8. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I play in a 70s classic rock band and rely on audience requests for ideas for new songs to learn. We follow our set lists but will take a request or two. Make sure you announce over the PA "a request from the audience" so the bar manager knows you are entertaing his/her customers. If it was 2am and the crowd was yelling for more, sounds like you did a good job fo entertaining!

I establish with the manager before we start what time he/she wants us to stop. WHere I live, liquor can't be served after 2am so bars don't want us to play after that. If we do, we are biting the hand that feeds.

I diplomatically handle a crowd that calls for more by saying "we loved playing for you people and we loved playing at Dino's bar and grill. Tell Dino how much you enjoyed the show becuase we'd love to play here again!" And then the band walks off the stage.

If you leave them wanting more, they'll exagerate how good you were!