First ever gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Ok guys, my band have got ourselves our first gig in melbourne! Only problem is, we dont have any of our own material. We do cover songs mostly (we're only 14 and 15) so yeh. Is this a good place to start? Like, we arent gonna be the main act for obvious reasons, but apparently we're better than the main act talent wise. So yeh, any tips?
  2. i would say to try to add afew origional songs in with the covers if possible. it would make it seem like you are not just trying to please everyone with already made songs.
  3. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I'm no seasoned vet, but I would say concentrate on having a good show. Its probobly a little late to throw in some originals, but you should when you can, if you are as talented as you claim :D Go out there and play the songs you know, kick there ass! I mean its your first show, know your material and have some fun. Most people will probobly be talking over your set any way so get there attention, unless of course you are trying to be background music. Have fun.
  4. Gram

Gram Guest

Jul 15, 2004
    Well I hope youre as talented as you say, because I too am 15 and its hard to tell a good band in our age group from a bad one like those billions of guitar players eggng you to join there band although they only know three chords. So sometimes it hard to make others take you seriosly.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  6. yeah just have a good time man...covers are cool, especially with young guys it wont be a problem.
  7. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yup, just go out there and have fun! My first gig was all covers too. And now (more than a year later) I'm doing an all original set. Good luck! :)

Graeme :bassist:
  8. che990

Feb 19, 2005
    i am 13 got our first gig a while back it's kinda nevery at the start but once u get into it it's great. I'm not on pot or jd so i just get with the rythem watch flea or Timmy C on stage and try them moves there awesome another good idea is to make little bass fills inbeetween parts and guitar solos. If you know what scale your in just experement before hand and improvise some crazy beats it never fails to impress bassists and non bassits. If you have a good time your audeince un doubtly will to.
    Just have a good time.