First ever jam session with keyboard player....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VS, Jul 7, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I played with a keyboardist for the first time today at a party/picnic. I've always been interested in doing work with one,but could never find one to do so. I must say I was impressed to say the least. He had a unique style,very melodic. At times he would lay down some more simple bass and harmony and I would jump to some lead progressions and then we'd switch off. Now I'm interested in finding a keyboardist to play with on a regular basis. Anyone here play with one? Any tips on what to look for in one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Luke

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hopefully, the keyboardist in-question won't have an overactive LEFT-hand(as in pounding out ROOT notes). That really limits a bassist's note choices in the lower register, especially.
    That's my biggest gripe...seems to be 'the norm' when a keyboardist is not used to playing within an ensemble or band environment.
    If that happens, buy 'em a beer(should help keep that hand occupied).
    ;)

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I'm going to look around for a long time to find somone along the lines of a Jordan Rudess style. Note "style",as I'm sure I'll never find one quite like him. :D -Luke

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "I've got this great bassline," said the keyboardist. "Copy what I'm playing, and we'll play it together during the song!"

:(

(Somehow, this thread seems slightly music-related. Off to MISCELLANEOUS with ya).

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Should have gone with miscellaneous on this one.
    -Luke