Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First ever jam session with keyboard player....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by VS, Jul 7, 2002.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I played with a keyboardist for the first time today at a party/picnic. I've always been interested in doing work with one,but could never find one to do so. I must say I was impressed to say the least. He had a unique style,very melodic. At times he would lay down some more simple bass and harmony and I would jump to some lead progressions and then we'd switch off. Now I'm interested in finding a keyboardist to play with on a regular basis. Anyone here play with one? Any tips on what to look for in one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Luke

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hopefully, the keyboardist in-question won't have an overactive LEFT-hand(as in pounding out ROOT notes). That really limits a bassist's note choices in the lower register, especially.
    That's my biggest gripe...seems to be 'the norm' when a keyboardist is not used to playing within an ensemble or band environment.
    If that happens, buy 'em a beer(should help keep that hand occupied).
    ;)

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I'm going to look around for a long time to find somone along the lines of a Jordan Rudess style. Note "style",as I'm sure I'll never find one quite like him. :D -Luke

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "I've got this great bassline," said the keyboardist. "Copy what I'm playing, and we'll play it together during the song!"

:(

(Somehow, this thread seems slightly music-related. Off to MISCELLANEOUS with ya).

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Should have gone with miscellaneous on this one.
    -Luke