Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First ever show

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 26, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Im at school right now, and im the "second" bassist for big band, Im in the 3rd year, and the main bassist is in his final year(upper 6th form). This means that next year, I will play everything.

But ive been told that I have to play a song this friday at a concert.

Ive got 2 choices:

Tequila-(chuck rio?) Its a latin type song with some weird rhythms (stuff tied across bars, syncopation). I tried to play it last practise but aparantly i was 2 beats out.

All blues- I think its a Miles davis(corrected) song, I cant find any recordings of it that match my part. So i have no idea what im meant to sound like. The rhythms are simpler, less syncopation, lots of repitition and dotted stuff.

I can choose one of these, or play both.

Which one would you guys advise playing?(its more of a opinion question so I might not get a good response :bag: )

AND how should I practise?

Help would be highly appreciated.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I beleive All Blues is a Miles Davis song. It's on the album Kind Of Blue which includes John Coltrane. Check it out.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Tequila is more about groove than about reading the written part. Listen to it a little, and it'll make more sense.

4. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

oops my mistake. Thats probably why i cant find the song anywhere. :D im a total beginner to all this blues/jazz/swing stuff.

thanks for the advice guys.