First experience with Behringer, wee!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Massimo636, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011
    I just bought a brand new in the box Behringer Delay-Reverb Pedal DR400 online for $45. I hook it up and turn it on. Ok, I can hear the effect, great. I tweak the tone knob and the effect turns off completely and nothing I do will make it come back, even turning the pedal on and off. After turning the power strip on and off I get it going again. This time I turn the blend knob and again the effect turns off... Third try I just leave those alone and change the settings where again, the effect dies and the different positions just yield soft or loud volumes of unaffected bypass tone. Well, lots of people say this stuff is junk, but I was willing to give it a try and now I'm inclined to jump on the bandwagon. Is this thing just a fluke or are their products that flaky? I've never bought a brand pedal that didn't work out of the box. I'm leaning towards refund over replacement...

2. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Is the polarity, voltage and amp rating of the power supply correct for the pedal specifications?

Try using a 9v instead.

3. Flaky.

4. RGSA

RGSA

Oct 12, 2011
    Behringers tend to be pretty flaky in my experience. Maybe it had something to do with the power level of your amp. It might have overblown the pedal.

5. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    As butcher suggested, eliminate the variables first. Running it on a 9V battery eliminates power supply issues as a source.

Lots of people use Behringer products without issue. Although using a Behringer product for a critical application like an amplifier would not be my first choice, using one of their pedals is worth considering--especially since some of them are a fraction of the price of the original they "happen to resemble."

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

I've been tempted lately to give their echo-thing pedal a try, not for gigs but just to play around in the studio. Now reconsidering.

On another note, I have one of their headphones amps, which is made out of metal and works pretty well for the 40$ I paid for.

7. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011
    Sorry, I didn't explain it that well. The LED stays lit and the pedal stays on, but the delay/reverb effect disappears if you tweak the knobs more than a couple times. It fails in different ways depending on what knob I'm turning. I guess if I could find a sound and just leave it alone after that it might work out, but I can't even change the settings enough to find the sound I want before it fails.

8. RGSA

RGSA

Oct 12, 2011
    Ah that makes sense, sorry.

9. Definitely

Definitely Inactive

I have absolutely hated any behringer equip. I have ever touched. IMO some of the worst you can pick, brutal sound quality, cheap electronics, just overall horrible. my very first amp was a behringer ultrabass and I bought a new one the next month it was so bad. distortion past volume 1 1/2, the EQ was impossible and I couldn't produce a tone better than a chainsaw. just my piddly $.02 of course.

10. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    For some types of metal the chainsaw sound is desirable.

Just sayin'. :D

11. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Seems to be hit and miss. Pedals seem to suck pretty bad, but V-Amp Pro is still working awesomely for me, as are the PA speakers and monitors my band bought. I also have an Ultrabass amp and it's been working fine, but my understanding is that some models were shipped with inadequate speakers which Behringer replaced at no cost. I mostly use it for practice, but I have played live jams with it and occasionally use it to power a medium-sized rig.

For all the complaints about Behringer quality and/or practices, they've served me much better than Samson/Mackie products... and that's sad.

12. Passifid

Passifid

Apr 24, 2011
    like any cheap company, some good some bad. At skl wehave an AWFUL ultrabass, but at homt the europort 150 gives me a godly tone if i use it with different speakers(aka amp is good)

13. dunno what's worse....behringer as a company,or you actually paying for their crap....live and learn mate,but never,ever,buy anything from behringer,hell,don't even take it as a gift...you'll save your nerves,and you'll live much longer!
    seriously,a pedal that costs 20e ? no need....

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have never had a Behringer product go bad on me. Behringer mixer, UCA interface, Bass V-Amp Pro, BEQ700. Years of use at church and at home. No failures. I cannot say the same for the few Boss pedals I've tried, thus why I will never buy another one ever again. I have failed to see what is so special about Boss that its users defend. Behringer, on the other hand, has worked out great for me.

As with many things in life, your mileage may vary.

15. europower mixer-crap (owned one)
    ultrabass series amplifiers-crap (played on a few)
    ANY pedal by behringer-crap (seen/heard most of them)
    rack eq-crap (owned one,too much hiss)
    microphones-ok for the price,i guess

now,i agree it's a matter of taste,and abillity,and probaly the style of music you play....but seriously behringer? mind you,I don't like boss that much either,but there are a few boss pedals,hell,more then a few,which you can use live and even in studio WITHOUT having to worry about them being smashed(it's not plastic like behringer),or duying in the middle of a song(happens often w/behringer trust me,I've seen it),or just being outragesly SILLY tonewise and everything....:scowl:

16. oh yeah.and I play and record/produce for about 16 years now..:bassist:

17. G.Bisson

G.Bisson Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    My guitarist buddy had one of their tremolo pedals crap out on him. He gave it to me and now a few of it's parts saw new life repairing old used & abused gear. Behringer seems to be only good for making scrap metal and paper weights.

18. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    I had a ultra flanger that died after 6 months. Made of plastic so I treated it as gently as I could, but it is a stomp box after all, I had to step on it here and there. The foot switch just didn't seem like it was made to withstand much use. If I pop it open and hit the internal switch it works, but what use is that ? ... lol.

19. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011

It was a first time thing and I thought I might be able to save a few bucks. I mean they can't be THAT bad if they are still in business, right...? Well, I was wrong. And I won't be paying for their crap. I'm sending it back and getting a full refund. You do get what you pay for I guess.

20. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    I'm glad that I read this today.
    I was just about to order a couple of their pedals for fun, but it doesn't sound like it's worth it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021