1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Fanned Fret

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gigarob, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Gigarob

Gigarob

Jun 3, 2010
    6/103 Hunter St Hornsby Sydney
    ECTOMORPH CUSTOM BASSES
    Hi TBers.
    I've built about fifteen basses over the last two years in Sydney Australia, but I always had in my mind that building a fanned fret would be the ultimate. Would I be able to work out the necessary maths, would I be able to machine accurately enough, would it work??????
    I regret that I didn't take enough photos during the building stage so all I really have are photos of really late in the whole process, plus some professional photos I have of the finished product.
    So here's my magnum opus; a five string fanned fret (35"-32") with Bartolini quad coil pickups and a Bartolini 18V 3 band EQ. Black Beauty strings. It has LED dots on he side and no front fret markers. The wood is Celerytop which isn't beautiful but is a great tonewood, machines well, is light and easy to work, and takes a finish well. And seeing as I love paint it was the best choice. Feel free to comment or ask questions. I don't mind if you wanna be brutal with your comments; I've developed a pretty thick skin building far out basses. They're not for everyone but I love them. This is a big, badass bass with massive output and a really driven sound.
    Oh, and I know guys, my website is rubbish but I'm working hard on the new improved one... 042.jpg Where it all began

FannedFret.jpg
    All together working with strings on. This was a happy moment.

018.jpg
    Painting the white pearl bass coat, just before the purple lightning.

BassPhotosSept1039.jpg
    The finished product.

BassPhotosSept1048.jpg

BassPhotosSept1042.jpg
    Shows the LEDs off nicely...

034.jpg
    Here it is onstage. It's a terrible photo but it's there somewhere.

2. Man, that is a REALLY cool bass! I really like the look of the painted fingerboard and the lightning is subtle but works. It looks like glitter paint!

The only comment I have is that I would have liked to see the LEDs in purple to match the accent colours on the bass.

Incredible work...

3. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    I WANT IT!!

4. Its the fanned-fret cousin of that white Warwick Streamer.. though that might have been a 6er, can't remember right now.

I love the paint job, but that upper horn reminds me of something that I would find humorous if I wasn't a mature, adult person.

Are those FretFX? Looks like the fanned bit threw them a little off at the higher frets.

:bag:okay its still hilarious. if you carry it around by the horn you'd be wringing the little guy's neck.

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

The straplock at such an oblique angle makes me a bit itchy. Nice job, though...

6. Gigarob

Gigarob

Jun 3, 2010
    6/103 Hunter St Hornsby Sydney
    ECTOMORPH CUSTOM BASSES
    Thanks for checking it out guys.
    Yes, they are Fret FX. I've used them on a few of my basses and I like them. They really do help on a dark stage. I measured along the low B string when I should've measured along the edge of the fret board, and that's why they're a little off at the body end. They don't make a micro LED in purple yet; blue, red or green only.

We had a similar opinion on the upper horn right back at the design stage and similar comments were made, but us being mature adults too went with it anyway. Thank you Knucklehead G.

And Steve,
    we tried the straplock at a few different positions and this just sat the bass in the right spot. I've given it to several players to use on gigs and nobody's had an issue with it so far...

Azfryguy, it's for sale if you really want it. PM me...

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021