1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Fender bass ever made! Found it!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Go to about 16 minutes and 30 seconds.

2. No one cares?LOL

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Nice... A piece of Leo's genius. :D

4. Awesome.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

WOW - at least it is in the hands of someone that appreciates it. Quite a collection!

6. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
  7. Pretty amazing.

8. As the man himself said no one has come forward with another.

9. I would imagine that the 1st Fender bass never left the factory.

10. Don't think too much is in (or left of) John's hands these days.

11. Why wouldnt it be on display then?

12. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

He said he has the right to call it number 1. Doesn't mean it really is. I honestly don't think we will ever know where the real first bass is. Which is a shame.

13. Vinnyboonbots

Vinnyboonbots Banned

May 25, 2012
    The idiot interviewer asks if he'd sell it. Right, because John Entwistle, who might need a few bucks to buy a new Squier.

14. Doesn't mean it is not :)

I would have to say until proven otherwise it is.

15. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Leo had several famous test devices... check it out:

But this is kinda referring to production models. Leo is a legend for a reason!

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You ever buy an 8 ball a day? Even with The Who money it does get expensive... so it could have happened :D... killer house by the way.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That isn't how things work.
    It is up to HIM to back up his claims.

18. Maybe we could get history detectives :)

19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The stuff lying around on tables and out on stands seems just as interesting as the stuff locked in cases.

20. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Reason class 101: Nothing is 100% certain, but we assume false unless we can get convincing evidence establishing truth to a reasonable degree. Otherwise we end up believing everything not proven false, which is effectively an arbitrarily large number of contradictory and mutually exclusive things with no way of determining fact from fantasy.

TL DNR? Burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

IMHO John Entwhistle was not trying to say it was the first, just one of the first 5 almost certainly, and the very first until evidence to the contrary came along as far as he was concerned... maybe I wasn't listening well. Still not how I'd put it on camera!

EDIT: yeah he says: "this can actually be classed as the first fender bass ever made" and "I have the right to call it number one", "well, as far as anyone's concerned, it's number one"

Sorry Mr. Thunderfingers, It's not certain at all based on that information. It's certainly an early example and a great collection.