1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Fender Jaguar or Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CypherA9, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

Firtsly many apologies if this as been covered elsewhere, please don't shout :crying: .

I am looking to invest in my first fender bass but i am torn between the jaguar and geddy lee models, i love the tonal variation of the jaguar but i am a jazz bass kinda guy and the geddy lee just looks and apparently feels amazing.

I haven't played either so far so obviously i will be finding a shop to try them out before hand but if anybody as one or as tried one any advice would be greatly appreciated :help: .

I have been playing for 3 years now and i am practising slap bass and also tapping at the moment amongst other things so is either of these suitable for this kinda playing.

Also, i am in the UK so if anbody knows of any good sites to buy one from that would be great.

Thanks alot Guys/Gals.

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I just bought a GL. It is a sweet bass. I don't slap, so I can't give a fair comment on that aspect. The shaved neck is so very nice to my touch.
    Cheers!

3. Apparantly the neck on the jaguar is pretty much the same as the Geddy, in which case, I'd go Jaguar

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    So, you se how this'll go....
    Geddy
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Geddy
    Geddy
    Jag
    Geddy
    Geddy
    Don't get a Geddy
    Jag
    Don't get a Jag

then......go try them and get the one you prefer.

:)

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, the Jag apparently has the same neck specs as the Geddy (thin C-shape, etc.). And the Jag really seems to be just a jazz bass with additional options. It also has the 70's bridge pickup placement, just like the Geddy.

So it seems to me like the Jag is basically the Geddy with a cooler shape, some more chrome, and more tonal variation.

6. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Just went and tried a store full of Fenders. A black Jaguar followed me home. The only thing that sounded as good was a MIA Jazz Deluxe active...for well more than twice the price.

7. My .01 cent -- I don't own either and don't play slap, but in in-store comparison, I liked the Jaguar better; I even liked the looks better.

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    OK, that's the 3 jag votes I predicted. :)

9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Same neck same pups, Jags got actives and series/parallel but no pup balance like the GL (switch on/off only), GL has a BAII bridge whilst Jag has the standard piece of fender tinfoil. The one unique this about the Jag I've noticed is the tone knob works in both active and passive modes.

10. TopCat

TopCat

Aug 28, 2006
    Bury St Eds.
    The Jag is phenomenal,,,

11. You see all, Enchanter.

12. steve21

steve21 Inactive

Geddy. It's just a classic.

13. Greg O

Greg O

Aug 11, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd go with the GL, the Jaguars electronics can be alittle weird.

14. Well, I haven't had a chance to try out a Jag, but the Geddy is great, so thats my vote.

15. That settles it, i'm getting both :D .

No really i need to find a decent shop to try them out first, all they seem to stock is mim jazzs or the odd mia active and nothing else round here.

Thanks for the advice guys i'll have one of them soon enough :bassist: .

Any more opinions welcome ;)

Cheers.

16. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    Geddy

17. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    The Geddy...easy to slap on, too...but IMO it really shines with fingerstyle.

Mark

18. Something that I hate about my GL bass is that brown spot they put by the headstock.....

19. I like the Geddy because like you I am a fan of the Jazz Bass, but the Jaguar looks cool, like retro-cool, but wait... so does the Geddy.
    But.. Geddy has painted blocks, looks like the Jag has pearloid blocks, really tough choice.

20. Go with the Jaguar, it's a outstanding bass! I've had mine almost a year now and it's become my favourite go to 4 string (back up bass).

I like this bass so much i'm about to buy 2 more. One in Vintage White and one in 3-Tone Sunburst.

Too bad it took Fender 59 years to develop it, but the good thing is that they did.

If you think it looks great, play one!

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

TD

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021