1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Fender Jaguar or Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CypherA9, Oct 14, 2006.

1. The Jag sounds a lot better to my ears, and you can get a lot more tone out of it.

2. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    If you DON'T own a Fender bass, I'd always have to recomend buying the Precision first. After that, you'll be able to blur on the Jazz. And then for the ones that already have them BOTH, the Jaguar for variety.
    My Jag has found a nitche' in my heart, but not so much as I'm quite ready to make it my primary bass. But it could be.....

*As far as buying one for an investment between the 2, I might opt for the first year Jaguar in a "custom color" (IE: The Oly White or the SB.) But If I were investing in one for a real $$$ return, I'd go for an ( Fullerton, Ca. 1st year) '82-'83 AV '62 Jazz RI, '62 P or the '57 Precisions. Many are said to be better built than the present custom shop models, and sound incredible. (At least my AV '57 does.) They show up on Ebay every so often and are climbing in value steadily.

3. She's a beauty, i saw someone playing the red one at a gig a week ago and it looked and sounded amazing.

How well do they set up? I can do set ups myself but would probably get this one set up professionally as i can get it done at a discount. Any buzzes or anything i should know about.

I am thinking of going for the sunburst jag but i don't where i can get one shipped to the uk, any ideas?

Cheers :hyper:

:bassist:

4. I have had a number of cheap precisions over the years and have got an aniversary squire one at the moment but i've never been happy with the tone i get from them. Also i can't get used to they way they feel. Would a mim precision be much different? I tried a mim jazz against a cheaper model jazz and there was quite a difference so if it was the case with the precision i would probably consider one.

5. +1 to this.

I saw a red Jag in a music shop in Warrington and now have a major GAS for one, this then doubled when I found out there was a sunburst variety!

6. :D Tell me about it, damn google image search :mad:

7. I tried the Jag, didn't really care for all of the knobs and switches. Too much stuff on something that doesn't have to be that complicated. The necks on the basses are not the same, but close, from the one that I played. I just like the look and feel of the GL better.

8. Would anybody think bad of me if i bought both, i would sell some of me others to make room :D .

Everytime i think am sure of which to get i see the other and melt.

Gotta save for me mm SUB yet as well :help: :help: :help: .

9. I had a poke about and figured out the conversion, a 3-Tone Sunburst Jag shipped from Guitar Japan including shipping to the UK, works out at £489 O_O

That's a ton cheaper than buying one in the UK (I think the list price is around £620-670?) and it's in a finish that's not available in the UK or US!

Anyway, link here;

http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_jazzbass/jab-97eq.html

I may have to have a serious think about this... Damned GAS..

10. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    To add to your GAS, you can get a vintage white Jag with a tortoise pickguard in Japan!!!

11. >__<

I did see a picture in another thread and it looks beautiful in white.. but a quick half hour of Googling turned back nothing.

Any idea where one may be available?

12. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I ordered my SB Jaguar from Ishibashi Japan, last month. (I called them in Japan directly, on my Cell phone and even got an English speaking guy.)

After comparing prices, Ishibashi was the cheapest and ships them EMS Priority Insured mail and they apparantly paid all the customs charges. I got it in just about a week. I tracked it and it went in and out of customs @ JFK Airport in NYC in under 3 mins! It was at my door the very next morning @ 9:30 AM by the USPS! I ended up paying something like $780. USD including everything.

Granted, MF sells the Red and Black ones for $699 US, but a 3 Tone Sun Burst option on a US bass is now an extra $30 and ordering a Tort P/G (especially trying to find one for a Jag) would have brought the total cost to right about to the price I paid for it. So I don't feel like I lost a dime in this transaction.

I still believe a bass player should own at least one (US) P & J bass in their arsonal, but this is one really sweet playing/sounding bass. (I'm a bit "old school", so I slapped a set of DA Chrome Flatwounds on it and a BAII and it gets very convincing P bass tones and very nice Jazz tones.

I would wait till I was very comfortable with the stock P & J's sound before I went out and bought a signature bass. One reason for the P bass suggestion is that while they are a "one trick Poney" they fit in the total mix of virtually ANY band setting. You'll have to "dig" for the tones you want out of them, but it will make you a better player in the long run. If I practice with the P bass, I can FLY on my FMT Jazz during gigs without any fatigue.

Think of a batter putting weights on his bat, so he can hit the ball harder when he takes them off. Playing on a bass with only 2 knobs and that wider neck will make your hands stronger and force you to make you tone your notes more deliberatly. You're forced to learn how to "cut" those notes. When you can nail it on a P, you'll probably be able to do it on the J bass without even trying. As far as the Jaguar, it's almost too easy to play........

13. I had this exact same debate...for 5 months until te blak jaguar finally showed up. I threw a badassII on it and called it a day. I totally dig it. maybe a new two band preamp...aguilar, bartolini maybe?

14. TopCat

TopCat

Aug 28, 2006
    Bury St Eds.
    "had a poke about and figured out the conversion, a 3-Tone Sunburst Jag shipped from Guitar Japan including shipping to the UK, works out at £489 O_O

That's a ton cheaper than buying one in the UK (I think the list price is around £620-670?) and it's in a finish that's not available in the UK or US!

Anyway, link here;

http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjap.../jab-97eq.html

I may have to have a serious think about this... Damned GAS.."

Are you sure you have included VAT and Duty in your calculations.

I think those factors increase the cost much more.

TC

15. I have been doing some looking and I dont think that the pickups between the Jaguar and Geddy are the same. The pole pieces are totally different. The placement might be the same but if somebody could tell me what pickups are in both I would be greatly appreciative. Also what would be the easiest tool or best tool for forming the string slots in a badassII on a jaguar upgrade. Not to hijack but i think the pickup info should be cleared up for anyone researchign the thread as i was led to beleive they were the same pickups in both basses. Thanks. By the way....you should still get the jaguar over the geddy.:smug:

16. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    According to Fender's site, both say "2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups". They look the same to me. As far as the BAII, round files as close to the string diameter of each string and filing a 1/2 circle is "The Best" way to file. I have several BA's and haven't really noticed a difference between this and a regular "V" cut as far as feel or sustain.

17. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Not that this means much, but I saw the Who on 9/29 at the Palace in AUburn Hills, MI (Detroit). Pino Palladino played a Jag all night, while his signature Fender P Bass sat next to his Ampeg 8x10s.

Jag - $750 or so
    Pino P - $4500?

http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?storyCode=14058

The Jag sounds like a winner.

18. GeddyisGod

GeddyisGod Four on the floor and nothing more!

Feb 4, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Another Jag might just have been sold. Details to come in the following weeks...

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love both, granted my Jaguar has it's neck swapped for a P-neck and every Jazz bass I owned had a P neck as well. Disregarding the neck, my Jag gets more playing time than my jazz.

20. I'd get a Jag but I already have a Jazz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021