1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First finger ramp

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_lord_mutha, Mar 29, 2015.

1. I'd been kicking around the idea of using a finger ramp in between the pickups on my USA Cirrus to help lighten up my picking, so I had a piece of rosewood lying around and tried my hand at making one before I try it with a piece of ebony. Still a little tall especially in the middle but I managed to match the radius of the pickups fairly close. Took me about 45 minutes, I think it turned out pretty well for a first go though lol 20150329_001524. 20150329_001622. 20150329_001643.

2. It looks better than the one I tried to make. I would recommend, though, that you just make it the same thickness front to back and adjust it using double stick tape. It will be easier to make and adjust.

3. Pelao

Pelao

Dec 7, 2014
    bass_lord_mutha likes this.
  4. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Honest question: what purpose does the ramp serve other than a place to put your thumb above the lowest string? As in, what's the point of having it continue across the pickup if you can place your thumb on the strings? And benefits to having it radiused to match the neck?

5. Pelao

Pelao

Dec 7, 2014
    For me, I use it for double thumping and popping on the G string. My ramp is flat, given that my pickup is also flat.

6. It takes away the space between the strings and the body and prevents you from digging in. Basically forces you to play with a lighter touch which helps you play faster with your picking hand. Also comes as a standard feature on Gary Willis' signature Ibanez... GWB1005_NTF_33_03_CU_Body_Top.

7. Mine is radiused to match the curvature of my pickups but also to keep consistent space between it and each string.

Kmrumedy likes this.
  8. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Makes sense. Guess I had the functionality mixed up with a thumb rest. Wouldn't mind trying one; I'll admit that I often start digging in too hard and tire myself out when I get "excited"...

bass_lord_mutha likes this.
  9. Yup, that's my problem too haha

10. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    That's the way to do it!

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Also makes my playing much smoother. Without a ramp, I play over the pickups and also between them. My fingers are stopped and have less follow thru on a ramp, but so when between them.

Definately a great thumb rest and a ramp absolutely makes me play faster.

I did without for over 25 years of playing. I tried one and now I have them on 4 basses. All of my main players.

Some love them, some hate them.