1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First five frets

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bass, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Does anyone use double bass fingering for the first five frets, and one finger per fret above the 5th fret?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Malcolm1935

Malcolm1935

Feb 5, 2021
    I'm electric bass and one finger per fret is what I have used. I do let the fingers decide who gets what and am not bound to OFPF, however, OFPF is my go to pattern.

gebass6 and Bass like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s not unusual for some bass players to alternate between Simandl and OFF guitar fingering. There’s no right or wrong. Just what works best for a given player. If you learn both fingering techniques you’ll find that your hand will switch back and forth automatically when and if needed.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Bass and Zooberwerx like this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes...1-2-3&4 w/ break-outs to 1-2-3-4 as required...that's the beauty of Simandl. As I approach the 7th and beyond, the mix leans more heavily towards 1-2-3-4. This is with a 34" scale.

Riis

Bass likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've never known any bassist (at least none who'd been playing for longer than a few months) who was dogmatically rigid in what fingering they use where. Nobody says "I use Simandl for everything below fret #N 100% of the time!" and dies on that sword. You choose a method that works most of the time, but learn to recognize where another method might be advantageous based on the context/situation.

Lownote38, Bass and BritFunk like this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    You should be able to use both techniques where applicable. Mostly I prefer the simplicity of Simandl. Just works better for me.

The one bad habit is to stretch to reach a note. Whichever technique you use, never stretch. Always move your hand to place your fingers over the notes you want to play. Watch top players and the chances are most of their playing is over a 2 fret section of the board. When they need to play outside that 2 fret section they'll move their hands.

Papageno likes this.
  7. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks everyone. I was taught to play one finger per fret. But with tendinitis I'm finding 1-2-4 more comfortable in the lower frets.

Goatrope likes this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

I never learned Simandl.
    I don't play Double bass.

I play electric bass.
    OFPF for almost everything.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021