Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Fretless, ATK or MIM Jazz ?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking at getting my first fretless and there's currently 2 on sale (in my price range) in my area.

An ATK Fretless and an MIM Jazz anybody have a suggestion on this? Which one will provide the best "mwah"? Quality and typical problem with those? They are roughly the same price.

I've currently have a BTB so I guess the ATK neck would be familiar, wouldn't it?

Guess this one is dummy but is it "visible" if a fretless "fretboard" has been eated by roundwound? If not how can I check that?

I've played a "huge" 20 minutes on a fretless in my whole life so any suggestion on what to check and how would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. I'd go with the ATK, just because I'm a fan of those particular basses.

Anyhow, you can see little divots in the fretboard from roundwound wear.

3. I would go with the ATK....MIM Fretlesses are a dime a bucket...does the ATK have a Maple or rosewood board? lines? Where was the ATK made?..I would stay away from the ones made in the USA unless you like neck troubles........

Fetch!