Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first fretless...please help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Oct 14, 2002.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hello! This is my first post on this website. I've been reading the posts and I signed up, but I couldn't get the account to work until just now! Anyway, I would like to hear some of your ideas on what are some good inexpensive (less than $1500) fretless basses. This will be my first fretless, but I'm going to want an unlined, even though its ill-advised. I've only really found Carvins so far, so I need help!!! Thanks in advance!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Say's who :confused:

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I agree on the Stingray. You can also find used Laklands for under $1500 if you want a 35". BTW, I advise you to go unlined.
    Doc

4. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    That's a good point, I'll fill out my profile. But until I do, I like prog rock, jazz, some fusion, and some metal. I'm liking lord only a lot jt! All I got as gear now is a Dean 4 stringer(nice bass) and an Ampeg BA-110. My favorite fretless is the Buzz series by Pedulla. My favorite bassists are Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Steve Bailey, Mark Egan , and, of course, Jaco. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow you must be either (a) incredibly loaded or (b) a serious pro for $1500 to define an "inexpensive" bass. I consider my Dean Edge 5 fretless to be inexpensive at $400.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    There's a very nice Jaco fretless (not the relic) in a local music store here in Houston (Evans Music, no I don't work for them). It's got to be some of the best quality I've ever seen from Fender.
    They're price tag on it is down to $935, which is a pretty good deal on a new one.
    If I didn't already have a killer fretless, I'd have snapped it up already.
    It is lined, though.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    When I went shopping for a fretless, I found at Musician's Friend THIS BASS

in almost perfect condition (1 cosmetic scratch on the back) for $220. It plays nice, and sounds decent. It does have lines, though.

But then, I consider a $500 bass to be "expensive."

Although I hesitate to recommend Musician's Friend to people, that's how I got my fretless.

8. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    http://www.curbow.com/store/

it's a five string though, but it's 2.5x as cheap as yours...

9. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    What do all you Carvin owners out there think about your fretlesses? Thanks for the help guys!

10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Food for thought...

You might want to check out the used gear sites too (www.bassgear.com and www.bassnw.com are my 2 faves) You might just find "the perfect fretless" I found mine Zon lightwave (perfect for me) for $1500.

11. $1500 will buy alot of bass. . .

I agree with the stingray idea. . .but they typically have a very bright sound and many fretless players prefer a darker "woodier" tone. . .

I got my jazz fretless in 1997 new for $650. . .it is the nicest instrument i have ever owned. . .you can find the same, unlined, model on ebay for around $300 if you don't mind buying used. As with any of Fender's mid range price basses. . .they are very individual, soem are great and some are really temperamental (like college girls), so play before you buy.

And I disagree with your statement about unlined being "ill-advised". A fretless neck is not as precise as a fretted neck (hence Leo's original term "precision bass"). . sometimes line markers are not true to the intonation of the bass. . .and with ANY bass (save a graphite neck) that intonation can vary from day to day based on humidity, temperature, playing conditions etc.

If a 7 year old girl can keep intonation on an little tiny unlined violin, you can keep it on a great big bass.

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'd question whether your average 7 yr old violin player can keep intonation :) In fact in my experience the average 17 yr old violinist can't keep intonation ;)

13. $1500 is an expensive bass, at least from where I'm standing.

My fretless is a Yamaha RBX270F. OK, not the most fabulous bass on the planet but a really good instrument for the money IMHO. I bought it new about 6 months ago @ £210, deciding to start at the bottom and work up, rather than doing the reverse....just how I saw it at the time.

Even if I'd got that sort of cash I'd never have spent it on a bass. I'd certainly have looked for a used instrument and saved a grand, I reckon.

Not a Fender fan but the fretless Jazz is a great bass IMHO. Dean, too.

They're your bucks, but it's an awful lot of money for a 1st time fretless.

John