First fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spacelordmother, Mar 20, 2006.

1. I'm pretty sure there was a thread addressing this topic on here, but I couldn't seem to find it. Perhaps it was OT in another thread.
    Anyways, I want to put a fretless neck onto my MIM jazz since I just got a Jazz V and I rarely play it anymore. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on whether to start out on a lined or unlined neck? I think the unlined neck is WAY sexier, though it might be good to have a guide for the fretting since I'm new to fretless. What do you think?
  2. steve21

steve21 Banned

no matter what you start on eventually you're gonna have to learn to use your ears more than your eyes with any fretless, so if you really prefer an unlined one, go for it. Eventually you'll be able to play your lined one without lines, so why waste time + money?
  3. The lines are only a guide you still have to find the right spot to put your fingers for the proper inotation, I have a lined fretless and after about a year I wanted to get rid of them because no lines is as you said "way sexier" especially with carvins bright ass white lines that you cant even tell its a fretless, an unlined will be harder to start of with but will probably pay off in the end, just make sure you have the dots on the side
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Go for what is more comfortable for you. Don't get caught up in this "without lines looks better" or "it looks sexier" stuff. Unless you feel the need to impress people or show off. I have seen too many players play un-lined fretless basses who sounded like crap. Personally the lined is a good guide if you are just learning. I've been playing fretless for 25 years now, and I can play both with no problem. But I prefer the lined, makes me a bit more comfortable when I am soloing.

People who know, will know you are playing a fretless, even if you have lines.
  5. don't we all????