First gig as bassist / lead vocals

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Well, I did it. New year's Eve.

OK it was "home crowd" so there wasn't so much pressure.

It went OK, as far as I could tell. Had no feedback yet but I'm fairly happy for the first time.

2. Good job Rockin John. I just started singing backup about three months ago while I play and I don't think I could do lead. Keep Rockin-
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Tough, ain't it. I've done plenty of gigs way back in the day as a lead singer. I am not lead singer quality we just had trouble finding/keeping lead singers in my high school band. :) In GUM! I sang a couple songs.

Man, playing bass and singing is much harder than playing guitar and singing. You can NOT lose the groove on bass, and at the same time you don't want to be too tied to the beat on vocals or it will sound like a machine. So while holding down the bass you need to sing "loose" with the beat. It's tough stuff, but with practice it can be done, and will make you a better all around musician.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Nice one John!

What was the material? Covers?
  5. Cool, Rock Johnny!

Singing while playing gives the concept of 'coordination' a whole new meaning.

Nice job - you are developing a skill that is valuable in the industry... congrats!!

6. Thanks guys.

Yeh, covers, but done our way. We don't learn the CD version or whatever. Mainly 60s 70s rock, a few 12 bars, Mustang Sally (that's a difficult 1 to sing and play bass @ the same time :eek: )

Actually, although, I'm just getting started with this thing, it's been less difficult that first thought. 'Fact, did the whole gig on the fretless and it went OK.

Whether I am the band's singer now, depends. We still think we need a proper front man.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Like The Police, Rush, The Beatles, right? ;) Also, you need to find out if your voice is strong enough to do that kind of work day in day out. I know for a fact that mine is not.