First gig at a place with a decent sound system!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Mar 19, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So tonight i had my first gig at a place called Saratoga Winners. Its usually a place for hardcore/metal bands, but we went in there and blues/funked it up. It was a good show, weak turnout, but it was fun. It was my first experience working with a sound tech (the guy was a jerk, but thats besides the point). Ohh, what a difference it makes being hooked up to the pa system... oh my god... the place was rumbling.

So besides the fact that my singer screwed up on several occasions and forgot the lyrics quite often (stupid frontmen...:mad: ), the show went quite well. I had to scurry off to a meeting at my church so i didn't get to see the last band play, which was my favorite band there. Oh well, we all had a good time.
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This weekend I was playing at a venue that had a wall of speakers (probably around 5-6 15's on each side, and subs under the stage). It was booming and crunchy as can be! I had a great time, but my guitarist's clean tone was ultra low on stage because he didnt know how to work his compressor, so we had a train wreck for about 2 minutes during one song.
  3. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I've done both; play with a PA and with our own gear (and just a PA for vocals). NO COMPARISON. If you have your own PA that can mic everyone, do it. If not, hire someone to bring his gear and run sound for you. It may cut into the proceeds from the show, but its worth it. Besides, if you sound great (and odds are you won't if you don't mic the guitars), the bar may pay you more in subsequent gigs.
  4. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    So glad you had such a great experience! Must be really nice, to have someone run you through the PA who knows what they are doing. The first time someone did that *right* for me, I was astounded!

And you mixed some funk into the vibe of that place...good for you!

Cherie :)
  5. snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    Had the same experience last Saturday. The gig was for a St Patty's weekend at this pub, we were the 3rd of 4 bands playing in a huge tent with a large stage and pro sound guy/setup.
    Nicest stage and system I ever played on. Sounded great and the sound guy was a decent person. We told him what we wanted and within 2 songs we were dialed in and everyone was happy.