1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First gig ever on Sunday

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by iamflea, Apr 9, 2009.

1. iamflea

iamflea

Nov 11, 2008
    Hi all

We are playing our first gig ever on Sunday and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

We have been together since November and we are musically ready.

Just not sure what to expect, any do's and dont's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. S Sanders

S Sanders

Feb 15, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Do have fun
    Don't get drunk before going on stage
    Do put on a show (with the following caveat)
    Don't go on stage naked (unless that's your thing. To each his own, ya know?)
    Do know your material
    Don't kick yourself too much over the occasional missed note (the average audience member won't have a clue)
    Do engage the audience (according to venue. If you're light background music at a black tie dinner, not so much)
    Don't turn it up to 11 if you're at the aforementioned black tie dinner

* - Grain of salt time. All I've ever done is a very few half hour sets at a small club with a band that, as a whole, sucked arse.

3. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Go to bathroom before you go onstage.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think Sanders absolutely nailed it. Relax and have fun. Pay atention to line 6 of his post. 99.9999% of the audience will not notice if one of you flubs up. So if that happens, make sure that nobody scowls (makes an ugly face) at the guy who makes a mistake. That will only make that guy more nervous and ruin the potential good vibe you guys will most likely have otherwise. Good luck! Go get 'em! Come back and let us know how it went!

P.S. What kinda gig is it?

5. Have a meal and plenty of water before you go on-stage. Make sure you've fixed/replaced all those batteries/leads you've been gonna replace for the last 3 months. Don't forget lead(s), picks (if ypu use 'em), your Bass (it's happened before now), leads etc. for your amp. If it's possible without leaving stuff open to being stolen, load your car the night before.

Find out load-in times from the organiser and be there 15 minutes prior. Don't forget to allow for a sound check (assuming you get one). I don't want to sound like yer mama, but early is on time, on time is late.

And if it's a multi band show, get your stuff on and off stage QUICKLY. Be ready to go at your arranged start time and finish your set at the designated time (even if it means leaving out a number or two) then load off immediately you finish - don't wander off for a beer/doobie, or to mac on the women, until your stuff is off the stage.

Don't stress or have a hissy-fit over small stuff you don't have any control over. People always remember a butt-head.

And don't forget to post the gig report here...

6. iamflea

iamflea

Nov 11, 2008
    Thanks for all the info!

Some good suggestions, and a few things I hadn't thought of.

I'm confident enough and I'm not overly fussd about a few bum notes, after all our band is much better than people are expecting.

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

My father died less than a month ago, and his word to me some 40 years ago still hold true in my mind. "No matter how well or poorly you play, some one will like it, someone will not" 'Play, have fun, make coin". He wasn'y really into free gigs, except back in the 40' & 50's he did play a bunch of free shows at the local Veterans home and VA hospital.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i've played on sundays before. they're just like any other gig. :D

seriously, though, you've received some good advice. one bit of advice for the entire band: listed to the whole band/ensemble, not just your own playing, and adjust accordingly. later, ron

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    That's what I thought the thread was about too, at first.

10. Ignore this nonsense. Get plastered and make an aboslute jerk of yourself. Engage the audience in the manner of Type O Negative. All of thses things are double at a black tie dinner gig.

I mean do you wanna be a rockstar or an aging pro bar player giving advice on TB?

11. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Try telling that to my brothers guitarist, he wanted to beat this guy up just cause he didn't like them.

Also note:

Skinny White boy Ska band+Barberton, OH=BAD!!

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Have fun. If you are having fun, you will play better, and your audience DOES notice if you are in to it.

As others have said, make sure your equipment is all ready, bring extra batteries, drink lotsa' water. I always have some masking tape and duct tape in my gig bag, it comes in handy every once in a while.

Oh, and by the way HAVE FUN!

13. 1,know your set order
    2,if you mess up. play through it, NEVER stop playing during a song
    3,don't drink booze before you play
    4,smile, sing along, have fun

Your first gig is always your most memorable. have fun, take lotsa photos, get someone to record it on camera.

14. * If you are singing, stay away from iced drinks before you go on (constricts a nervous throat).

* If you get sweaty when you get nervous, take a small towel with you on stage and use it to keep your hands dry between songs. You'll be amazed how a nervous and sweaty hand can have you over-shooting your frets.

The best of luck for you!

eta
    : also keep in mind that the sound on stage will likely be very different from what you are used to in the rehearsal room. Not better or worse necessarily, but different. This is normal (all rooms sound different) so don't let it throw you off, but also make sure that you are able to hear the instruments that are important to you.

15. Absolutely! don't be afraid to ask the sound guy to add more or less to you monitor, just make sure to be polite!

16. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Ha ha

:smug::bassist:

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  18. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Pray, let the spirit lead your fingers and have fun. If you miss a note, catch it the next time around.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    If you need to load in/load out quickly, make sure you have a plan as to who does what. If you can get a couple of friends to roadie for you, it makes it a lot easier.

Wherever you leave your cases/covers/gig bags, etc. , make sure someone is watching over them while your're playing.

If you're doing your own sound and there's a sound check available, make sure one of you has a long cord or wireless) so you can go FOH and balance out the sound for the band.

20. chasplaybass

chasplaybass

Oct 26, 2006
    chicago
    If you are playing Dragon Attack by Queen then ugly face is appropriate.