Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Gig In 11 years

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mwm70, Mar 7, 2005.

1. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Friday night at the club inside the local Coast Guard Yard. We only have to do two 45 minute sets and we aren't getting paid but I am still pretty nervous. This will be the first gig I have played since 1994. That was an original speed metal band, now it is an all cover 60's to today rock band that has been together for 4 months.
    Sorry about the rambling, just trying to work out the jitters and search out some advice.

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Your story read almost exactly like my situation was a year ago. Here is what I experienced:

- you'll have more FUN...my guess is that in your speed metal band, like mine, you had aspirations of making the big time or at least dreams of it, which brought added pressure. Well, I guess you probably have a non-music career and are just doing this for sh*ts and giggles. Its more fun without the pressure.

- your stage legs will come back very quickly

- you're older, more mature, and you now know not to take yourself too seriously...when we were teenagers, everthing in public was life or death. You'll have more fun now.

- your crowd is different...in metal bands, almost half of the audience are musicians ready to critique your performance, or blast your for not doing riff A or whatever. Now, you're just playing to people who want to relax or dance. They won't even notice your mistakes.

Enjoy!

The Nanny

3. Good luck. I'm sure the first thing to come back will be how much damned fun it is to play out. I haven't played out in a few years...but the few "fill ins" I did at parties and what not were a blast. I'll second the nanny...a lot of the pressure, wherever it came from, is lifted.

Mike

4. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Thanks guys.

I do have a non-music career and this group is strictly for fun (reason we are playing for free, actually bar tab is covered).
    I never thought about it but you are exactly right that the previous audiences did have alot of musicians in them. It's even more reassuring knowing that the little flubs are overlooked in this setting. I think the cause of my concern is the limited amount of time we have been together.

5. Remember, you can't drink as much as you could when you were a kid.

That little tidbit will come in handy.

6. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Actually being 40 pounds heavier now seems to have pushed my tolerance higher. :p

I will limit it to one beer a set (to settle the nerves). That's about 6 beers less than the normal Friday night. :)

7. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    oh ya...one more thing...the groupies are better. Don't believe me?

17 year old pimply bassist in speed metal band = skanky leftover big-hair groupies; competing with older, wiser, richer guys for said groupies

30-something mature professional who plays dance music for fun = sure thing, they buy YOUR drinks, you look with pity on pimply 17-year old metal bassists

8. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore

:D :D