1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First gig in 6 months...and nearly died

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Had my first bar gig in 6 months this past weekend. We set up earlier in the afternoon. I was the first to arrive about an hour before downbeat, with a bottle of water in hand (gotta stay hydrated). I took a swig of water, and it goes down the wrong pipe. Usually not a problem, just an embarrassing cough-fest. Except I couldn't cough, couldn't breathe, started choking...I'm on the verge of panic. I'm looking around the room, and the closest Heimlich prospects are a trio of 6 year-old kids running around. Next closest talent is a table of good-looking younger chicks by the bar. I'm trying to decide if I want to pass out on stage or stagger up to the hot chicks, grasping at my neck with crazy googly eyes. I opted to hustle outside (croaking like a hippo in heat the whole way) and throw myself onto the railing. Fortunately, the water freed itself on the way out the door, and I was none the worse for wear. drool

The gig was a blast. I was a little off my game for the first 30 minutes. LOL - I was afraid to drink anything for a while. The band played well and we had a good crowd. As usual, I played my G&L SB-2 Tribute thru my GK Plex direct to Behringer X32 mixer. It was my first gig with custom in-ears and my own monitor mix using iPad -- having a freakin' awesome in-ear mix makes the job soooo much easier and enjoyable! I decided to rock the black shirt/grey vest/white tie with jeans & Doc Martens -- and got a compliment from a drunk chick during the 2nd break. Then she asked "have you ever seen this band before?" I guess that's par for the course.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    SWRnut, kojack, CB3UK and 47 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Congrats on the gig!
    Here's to ya, waterman.

3. LowNloud1

LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    At least it happened before the gig and not between songs!

4. Yeah. That "hydration" stuff is deadly in the wrong place n time.
    Glad yr gig went well

BlueAliceOasis and Stumbo like this.
  5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Eastern Wisconsin
    What's a better opening line than "You just saved my life, how can I repay you?"

I woulda gone with the chicks, man.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I get that "esophogeal spasm" throat closing thing sometimes, and yes, it's terrifying, something as simple as a droplet of water going the wrong way can trigger it. Even worse if it's something spicy like balsamic vinegar. An asthma inhaler (albuterol) seems to help me when it happens.

jumbodbassman and Stumbo like this.
  7. RNG1

RNG1 Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Glad to hear it ended better than before it started.

Would like to hear more about this setup you mentioned...
    "It was my first gig with custom in-ears and my own monitor mix using iPad --"

One of the bands I play in has really been struggling with our wedge monitors lately. I never let any of this faze me usually but I sing a lot in this band and lately I feel I've been pushing my voice harder than necessary.

Sore Thumb and Stumbo like this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Glad you're alright.

pcake and hrodbert696 like this.
  9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Oh my! The water incident could have been very inconvenient. I'm glad that passed without being a 911 episode.

This is hilarious! But it happens all the time. There we are, up on stage for cryin' out loud, playing our hearts out, making all kinds of noise, and do you thank anyone notices us? Rarely.

Last Saturday I walked up to a table with a couple of cougars thinking I'd just strike up a friendly conversation to pass the time and make a little hay for the band, good P.R., you know? "Hi! I'm your bass player, Cliff." - kind of thing.

The two ladies were very cute and very nice, they were sisters, and we were getting along famously. At the end of my break I excused myself but asked if they had a request they'd like to hear.

They both looked at me like I was from Venus.

I said, "I'm in the band. Can we play something for you?"

"OOooohhhhh!!! You're in the baaaannnnd! You guys are great!"

Umm, [​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess I can't blame them. One sister was in town visiting the other and they came out to have a good time, [​IMG] ...not to get accosted by a musician. :smug:

Such is the life of a bass player. Anyway, thanks for sharing your gig!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

SWRnut, azfatboy, pcake and 15 others like this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

Feb 11, 2008
    So. Cal.
  11. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I had this happen when I was in Manchester and some orange mold started growing in a corner and gave me acid reflux. Woke up unable to breathe for a few seconds. Terrifying!

12. OCDave

OCDave Supporting Member

I also would like to know more detail about your IEM setup. When I play at church, I currently plug direct into a Fender Rumble 100 which functions as both my amp and monitor. (Ugh) I'm interested in a IEM so I can hear myself and not have the amp too loud.

13. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    OK, since you asked...

My band uses a Behringer X32 mixer ($999, the top of the Behringer line). Search the Live Sound forum -- there are a lot of threads about this mixer. Basically, the mixer can do anything you could ever want or need a mixer to do. Among other things, it allow you to create up to 8 (I think) custom monitor mixes, which are separate from the FOH (mains) sends. All of our instruments are either mic'd or DI. I get an XLR cable out from the mixer to a small headphone amp that sits on the floor by my feet, then a cable runs to my IEMs (I have custom P450's from Inearz.com -- love them). I use my iPad to connect via WiFi to the X32 -- my mix is set up using "sends on fader", which allows me to adjust my mix without messing up FOH. You can see the iPad on my mic stand just above the water bottle of death. I get things pretty close to dialed in at rehearsal, and then that mix is stored in memory for recall at the gig. In the course of the night, I probably tweaked my mix 5 or 6 times to get things perfect. The best way I can describe it is that it's pretty close to listening to a live CD...with me playing bass on it -- I can hear everyone and everything clearly.

At home, I have the Behringer XR18 mixer in my basement practice space. Perfectly adequate for a 4-5 piece rock band (if you don't go nuts with a lot of drum mics). It does a lot of what the XR32 does, but with fewer inputs and bells & whistles...I paid around $500 for an open-box unit. You can use an iPad or Android tablet to run the software. Seriously, I'll never go back to an analog mixer and wedges.

14. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    At least they didn't ask you to introduce them to the drummer.

15. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    If you would have been drinking beer, this could have been avoided.

16. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Glad your OK.... It can be a bit overwhelming and scary for a moment when the gag reflex is not working...
    Back in the 80's I was playing a club in NYC... and thought I would mingle with some chics on my break between sets...
    Well, I placed my beer down for only a few seconds and apparently one of the chics thought I was finished with my beer and put a cigarette in the bottle ....
    When I took a swig of the beer, the cigarette butt got lodged in my wind pipe...totally not expecting that at all !!!
    I was choking a couldn't breath gaging for like 10 seconds before her girlfriend decides to start pounding my back with her fist....
    in the process of pouncing my back, she had a lit cigarette in her other hand and managed to burn a hole through the front of my shirt and into my chest !!
    About a second before I thought I would pass out from no oxygen the cigarette butt did shake loose and I coughed it out on the dance floor ....
    I was coughing for the next 10 minutes.... Now I am screwed, since I have to sing a few songs in the next set...
    It was a rough set to say the least !!
    I think twice before approaching 2 Blondies ever again !!!

SWRnut, Jeff Elkins, ba55i5t and 4 others like this.
  17. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    @BassCliff: Bass player and "in the band" can create a disconnect among patrons.

jumbodbassman and BassCliff like this.
  18. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Obviously it was an assassination attempt.

19. The worst thing you can do in that case is start to panic.
    The best is relax and try to breath softly by your nose.
    Good story, i choose the hot chicks LOL.

JRA and Old Blastard like this.
  20. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Years ago, I played in a band with a drummer that was considered extremely good looking by the ladies. I can't tell you how many times I began chatting with a woman who I thought might be interested in me, only to have her ask "so what's your drummer's name?" or "is your drummer single?" We used to laugh about it after shows.

bassbully, Jimmy4string and BassCliff like this.