1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig in over an year

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eukatheude, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Since I moved here I've been pretty much stuck working, and was unable to find a decent gigging band.
    A month ago I get a call from an ad I've posted... Tribute band to a cheesy italian pop singer, two gigs ready, count me in! Three rehearsals later and it's yesterday night. Venue was smallish and reasonably populated, played about 1.5 hours in one set. Sound was good, the crowd was having fun and despite some mistakes on my part during the ending (which, I'm told, weren't noticed) I can definitely say I had a blast!
    My new bandmates are very solid. Great singer (if not of excessive practical sense due to his decisions on the setlist which forced a bit too many guitar swaps), pro guitar & keys and a great drummer which only needs to tighten the dynamics a bit.

We got paid less than agreed (30€ each instead of 50) but the venue owner wants us back, this time at full price.
    Can't wait to do it again!
    A stage pic from the FB page:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    KenHR likes this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing! Who is this "cheesy Italian pop singer"? Zucchero? Jovanotti? Perhaps I'd like to look him up on Youtube.

It's great you've found a band to play with. Tribute bands can be fun as long as the crowd is into it. When they're not, oh boy! Look out! It could be a long night.

Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Way to go! Glad to know you had a good time!

I'm curious to know, why did you not get paid the agreed price? I ask because, here in Greece, it's common to be told one thing, and then
    another is done. I wonder if it's like that in Italy, too.

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Way to go! Glad to know you had a good time!

I'm curious to know, why did you not get paid the agreed price? I ask because, here in Greece, it's common to be told one thing, and then
    another is done. I wonder if it's like that in Italy, too.

5. Hehe, exactly. Don't know much about Greece, but Italy's a trainwreck, in part due to this attitude but I guess that having mafia and government being the same thing doesn't help either.

I don't know whether this was miscommunication on the singer's part or the venue owner pulling tricks, unfortunately I was busy while pay was being discussed. What I was told is that we were getting paid 250€ to split, we received 150. Next time (he said around october/november unfortunately) we'll play for no less than 350.
    Still we only played one set so the pay wasn't too shabby. And we've been told both by the owner and house soundman that we were much better than all cover bands they've had there in a good while.

Duly noted! The singer is Nek, who as I found out also does some bass playing live. On the albums he used quality hired guns, so, while basslines keep to the roots, there are plenty of interesting fills here and there.
    I should mention I've already been playing with another band, of which the members are absolutely TOP NOTCH, but it's an originals/recording project so no gigs until we finish up the album.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Nice! I like Nek - my dad is Italian and my family used to spend the summer in Italy. Miss those days :(

7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The getting promised one thing and getting another reminded me of a band I knew back when. They were house band at a club and had been for some time. They kept complaining to their agent they were not getting enough money and wanted him to negotiate a raise. The agent said he had already talked to the owner who was not willing to pay the increase. Another couple of months pass and the band decideds to go directly to the owner. They confront him and are surprised when he tells him the agent had already gotten them a raise a couple of months ago.
    The agent did recover.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Way to go. As to the "mistakes", the audience misses most of them. Even the pros make them. Godd to see another brother back on stage. Keep laying the groove down.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Sounds like a typical gig eh ? Not getting paid said amount.
    As long as you had fun.
    I haven't gigged in 5 years.
    Looking to get back in.

10. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    It sounds like you are in the honeymoon period with the band. There's a period when it's all great, notwithstanding the hiccups. I've had them in almost every single band I started, and I've started a lot. Too bad you didn't get paid what you were promised. I always put the pay in writing with a booking confirmation agreement. If you get busy, this becomes positively essential because it gets hard to remember what the terms of the agreement are if you don't. Anyway, glad you are enjoying yourself!

11. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    Awesome, man! Glad it went well!

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Someone needs to mention that, since you've been out, a lot of the notes have changed.

B is now Cb; F is now E#; fifths are now sevenths, and there are no more major scales. Everything is in minors, and a new scale everyone's using, called "yubermoobergoobergrouberfloober." In the yubermoobergoobergrouberfloober scale, you move up in intervals of 1.45 steps, except for after the fourth note, when you skip 7.3158 steps. All downward progressions use a standard of one step forward, two steps back.

Also, electricity has changed. The Alternating Current of the past has been replaced by the more modern Vacillating Current, which means Amperage can vary based on polling.

eukatheude, Remyd and NWB like this.