1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Gig / Intro - Gig report added!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jackcrow, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    I’m getting pretty excited for my first ever gig coming up this week so I wanted to give a backstory on it an kind of introduce myself. I always find these threads interesting but, as always, feel free to TL;DR!

About Me: I’m 28, I’ve been playing bass since I was 14; however, I stopped playing almost entirely from about 2008 until this year. I did play occasionally during that time, but not enough to matter. I have been involved with a couple bands that didn’t go anywhere at all. My only “live” experience was a couple times with my high school band and a couple years ago I played with my wife (vocalist) for a Christmas song at church. It’s definitely been fun getting back into playing all the time with a real band.

About the band: We are a 4 piece classic rock cover band, though we do have one original so far. Two members are in their early 50s; the drummer and the guitarist (who is also my Dad). The singer and I are about the same age, and we have known each other since high school. Everyone but me has quite a bit of gigging experience. Our singer also plays bass and sings in another band. We play mostly classic harder rock, with some more modern stuff thrown in. Obviously I have played with my Dad forever, but the drummer has been around since March of this year and the singer since August. We had another guitar player and a different singer at first, but they didn’t work out. We all do this as a hobby and don’t care about the money, we just want to play.

About the gig: Smallish bar gig in my hometown with a population of about 600. This is good in a few different ways. Number one is that it’s just a couple blocks from my house. Number two is that everyone knows us so hopefully that means we will have a good turnout. We are playing 6-10 at the bar owner’s request, which is nice since I work in the morning the next day. Should be a lot of friends, family and coworkers there at least. And they’re serving ham buns and pasta salad! Everybody wins!

Am I nervous? A little bit. I feel like I know the songs well. I’m still re-learning a lot after my 9 year layoff. I do think it will be a lot of fun. Since I’m a gear guy, I’m excited to try out all the new stuff that I’ve bought since I got in this band (I was down to one bass and 1x15 combo). My rig will be my 70s Univox Precisely, Warwick Corvette, Mesa D800, Phil Jones C8 and my small pedalboard.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my story. Hopefully I will have an awesome gig report soon!

2. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    That sounds like it's gonna be a blast!

If you've practiced the songs backwards and forwards since getting together with these folks, your hiatus shouldn't be very obvious. It helps to surround yourself with more experienced performers as well.

The butterflies are perfectly normal ... after the first couple songs in, that should turn to joy. Especially with so many familiar faces out there that will want to have a good time & see you do well.

Worst thing that could happen is you stuff your face with potato salad and ham buns (< whatever the hex ham buns are o_O:thumbsdown::)

Wicked G, dbase, Rip Van Dan and 2 others like this.
  3. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    It must be fun playing with your Dad. My daughter started on drums yesterday and she's already doing great and I can't wait to come home from work to jam with her for a first time.

4. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    Playing with my dad has been great and definitely gives us an instant chemistry when we play.

Also, a “ham bun” would be North Dakota speak for a ham sandwich made on a dinner roll. :thumbsup:

dbase, catcauphonic and Torrente Cro like this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Good luck!
    Looking forward to reading the gig report.

dbase likes this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi Mr. @Jackcrow,

I'm looking forward to your gig. Please share. It's special that you get to perform with family. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Wicked G, Stumbo, dbase and 2 others like this.
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Jackcrow :) I hope you' ll have 20% of them!!! (at least :D) so...

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

120 jumpys and a big :thumbsup:

have some fun!!!

Wise(b)ass

two fingers, Helix, dbase and 3 others like this.
  8. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Sounds like you're gearing yourself up to have some fun. That's the way it oughta be. Can't wait for your gig report-don't forget the obligatory ham bun shots!

Stumbo, dbase and BassCliff like this.
  9. Jackcrow

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    I will definitely post some pics of my buns! ;)

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yep: break a leg! congrats on your gig! :thumbsup:

dbase likes this.
  11. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Cool. Have fun young man and tell us all about it!

dbase likes this.
  12. You're going to have fun. These are the best kind of no pressure gigs to play. Good luck.

I had a 70's Univox Professional Bass that was a killer reproduction of a Fender P... I still kinda regret selling that one.

Jackcrow likes this.
  13. Enjoy yourself, look at the crowd, and smile once in a while. Nothing worse for the crowd than to watch a musician staring at their hands (or sheet music).
    And welcome!

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    For a bit there, I thought maybe you were Wolfgang and you were describing joining Van Halen a few years ago. anyway, have fun!

HolmeBass, AJ on Bass and Jackcrow like this.
  15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    This sounds like a LOT of fun. Enjoy yourself. I have a son who plays bass (he has progressed waaaay beyond his dad) but we've never had a chance to play together except when he played a couple of gigs with my band and I played guitar. I envy you getting to play with your dad.

Lvjoebass likes this.
  16. Remember to smile a lot, have a great time, and hit us back with a gig report :) thanks for sharing RTS

17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    WHAT? You've never had ham buns??? I never had them until I lived in Virginia - lived there for 10-years. They are dinner rolls with ham folded to fit in the middle. They are best served hot and it's easy to "stuff your face" with them. One of the lady's I worked with when I was there would ALWAYS bring at least 24 of them to any pot-luck we had and they would disappear quickly. Great stuff!

Jackcrow, HolmeBass and catcauphonic like this.
  18. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Cool to do things with your dad! I took an accounting class in college where the professor was my dad.

Jackcrow likes this.
  19. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    take lots of pictures or the gig never happened.. get some good food pics...thanks in advance. and dont forget to have fun.

Jackcrow likes this.
  20. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Funny thing, you will remember this gig for the rest of your life. I remember my first gig (Jerry Lewis Telethon) in my local home town, and I thought I was a rock god. I was 15 then.

Sounds like you are in for a special treat (not the ham buns) and something to relish forever.

I think it's awesome you get to play with your father. My parents never supported me with my music, and only saw me play maybe three time in my entire life. For you to enjoy music with your father the way you are, well you are a lucky man.

There will be a few flubs, but you are playing with seasoned guys that will get you through the sets and with friendly faces around, it will be a wonderful experience.

Go out and make your mark in this world, one note at a time. :)

Lvjoebass, catcauphonic and Jackcrow like this.