First gig jitters

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SeanE, Oct 7, 2005.

1. SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    I played my first gig in 5 years last night. We were well rehearsed on most of the material, but I was definately jittery. We play about 75% originals, folk rock, alt-country stuff, and this was the most original material I had ever performed on a debut gig.

First 4 songs, I was a little stiff, but I played clean. In fact, the 4th song was a cover of Grievous Angel by Gram Parsons and we nailed it to great a response. Then....gack!! I mess up bigtime on the next tune, and end up feeling like a deer caught in the headlights. It took me about 3 more songs to fully settle down. Of all things, I relaxed when we played the only song where I sing lead. Normally I'm more terrified of singing than anything else, but it settled me down.

I felt like the biggest tool at break. I flubbed up changes that I can play in my sleep, and generally felt like I had made a horrible first impression on my band and audience. It wasn't THAT bad, but I'm a perfectionist. The positive side was this -I knew that I could only improve in the second set.

Second set was about 1000x better. We rocked. The drummer and I sync'd tight up just like rehearsal and the vocalists broke out stronger.

Anyone got any good first first gig messup or messup/redemption stories?
  2. HarrisIsGod

Sep 1, 2005
    We all decided to have a drink before our first gig.

For me that turned into 3 JD and cokes, a shot of JD and three beers, when I hadn't eaten.

Consequently I couldn't stand up in the penultimate song. Everyone thought I was kneeling down to look cool.
  3. This reminds me of a show we played about a month ago. During one of our songs(we play all originals), the singer forgets the words, but its ok cuz it wasn't an obvious screwup. We get to the second bridge, guitarist(who is also the singer) just stops playing completely, me and drummer give each other a weird look but keep playing. Singer again kinda stops singing in the bridge to figure out whats up with the guitar, I miss my cue(my line gets really repetitive and I just listen to the vox/guitar to change from bridge to outro), guitarist starts back up on a chord thats used in the bridge, so I figure we are about to hit the outro(while the outro was already being played). Luckily I caught on really quickly, and I managed to end the song on the right page as guitarist and drummer. Was nervous after that, but no glaring mistakes. Except for when the drummer missed a couple of crashes in the next song's chorus(I hit notes on them and it sounds like crap without the crash in those spots). Needless to say we dropped the song that screwed us up at the next gig so we could work on it at rehearsal. And nobody seemed to notice that we screwed up a LOT in that song, so we lucked out.

*edit, in fact my friend who is a music major said we sounded the tightest he's ever heard us play that night.
  4. SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    that's funny. I feel better now :) The more I thought about the gig today, the more I realized that we played pretty damn well for our first time together live, and I've gotten more compliments on my vox than I've ever gotten. That makes me happy.
  5. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    One thing to remember, is that unless it's a complete train-wreck, the only people who will notice anything are the other musicians who happen to be in the audience. Most people in a nightclub are oblivious to small miscues.

In my last cover band, whenever someone would tube a part, we'd just laugh about it and keep going. It sure made the atmosphere more relaxed and fun to play in. :)