First gig...kinda. fun stuff

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Jun 2, 2005.

1. So last night my friends and I went to check out this band (we know the guys in it). So we went to BBQ & Brew to check it out and found out that they were just playing for this open mic kinda thing. We got to talking with one of the guys that runs it and he said that it's basically no restriction of speech or style of music and that you get 20minutes. So we asked if we could sign up and he said "There are no more spots left tonight, but wait...this band here didn't show so if you guys want to go on right now, go for it."...and so we did.

From what I saw, everyone that played before (and after) us just did either some original songs they had made or did covers...we just took a riff and jammed off of it. We ended up being on for 30 minutes (doing 3 jams) because we were getting a good response from the crowd, which was cool. The guy running it even told us to come back for sure next week because he was really digging it.

This ended up just being Seth (the singer in my band, used to play guitar too before we got our new guitarist), me and Jeremy (the drummer) jamming. I think it's going to kind of be our little thing to do every wednesday now. On the 17th they are having this "heavy metal night" thing, so we'll probably grab Stephen (the guitarist we have now for doing metal) and go play at that if we can.

Probably the greatest thing was that I didn't get nervous one bit and felt like we were just jamming in my garage.
  2. I'll drop ya a PM bout that SMASH.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Very cool Tyler. :bassist: :cool:

The first time I played live was in a situation similar to yours. I didn't have time to get nervous either, so I had a great time.