1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig last night, broke all the rules

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Anthony Lap, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    I had my first gig last night after 10+ years of bedroom warrior. I am sorry if I am offending some but thought I would share with you our outfits for the night. I mean look at all those calves and flip-flops! CD938FAD-1523-4434-9DAE-4DB1D1B894AB. Oh and Mustang Sally was part of the first set...

2. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    How did you like performing in front of an audience ?

fleabitten likes this.
  3. I wore school uniform for my first few gigs on bass. Not in an AC/DC kinda way.... they were school concerts.

4. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Not in a Chrissy Amphlett way either, I hope.

Mr_Moo, biguglyman, DrMole and 4 others like this.
  5. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Dear god, there's even no drummer to fire!

Mr_Moo, dbsfgyd1, jamro217 and 19 others like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I Googled up The Fishbowl Beach Bar and only came up with two. One is on the beach on a tiny island off the coast of Thailand. One is in Cincinnati. If you played the former, you're good to go. If you played the latter, hand over your membership card and clean out your locker. We have no more use for you.

:wacky:

biguglyman, Artman, JRA and 26 others like this.
  7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I call BS. This photo exhibits so many TB faux pas that it must be staged.

It's like a hidden object game for them. Pick one, and then see if you can find it in the picture. If you can't, then you're just not looking hard enough. ;)

Mr_Moo, SWRnut, JRA and 15 others like this.
  8. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    It is indeed a beach bar in Thailand, I don’t own pants anymore and only wear shoes when going to government offices.

It went pretty well and playing in front of audience was great, it was mostly friends. The gig was 2.5 hours long split in two sets. We all had a couple mistakes here and there but were quick to recover, no train wreck. Our band was put together 2 weeks ago. We live on a 21 square km island so people are always coming and leaving, it is challenging the keep a steady lineup.

Mr_Moo, JRA, Dilver and 41 others like this.
  9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Reminds me of a friend who went to Singapore a few weeks ago to shoot a documentary. He would at all costs avoid spending too much time outside and always wore the bare minimum of clothes he could get away with. The heat was scorching.

I was wondering why in the world you would wear flip flops in October - but this explains it all. I would hate the climate, can't deal with heat that well...

10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    At first I thought you cats were busking by a Fishbowl :rolleyes: wherever that may be (south of here, that's for sure! For the record... I believe buskers should automatically get a pass on a lot of these strict TB fashion rules.)

But to be playing a beach bar in Thailand as your first gig is just super cool :cool: errr, warm! Either way it's a pretty biggie D, and thanks for sharing it. Any more gigs on the horizon with these dudes?

Mr_Moo, jamro217, Bassaga and 5 others like this.
  11. Anthony Lap

Anthony Lap

Jul 1, 2019
    Got a second one tomorrow night and then our guitarist leaves the day after, his visa expires and he won’t be renewing it. We have a lead guitarist arriving early December so we’ll have to wait a good month before we can move on to harder stuff!

12. No Fin Soup

jamro217 and dbase like this.
  13. SunByrne

SunByrne

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    As someone who lives somewhere where the forecast high today is almost 90° (and humid), I couldn't approve more. :thumbsup:

That is a long outing for your first gig! Props on having that much material ready to go.

14. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Worst. Gig. Ever!

Seriously though, grats! Sounds like a really fun first show.

jamro217 and 2tonic like this.
  15. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Am I the only one that can see the drummer? :eyebrow:

Mr_Moo, Kijuer, 2cooltoolz and 6 others like this.
  16. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    you forgot to mention the music stand...

17. RattleSnack

RattleSnack Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    That's percussionist playing cajon.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    jamro217 likes this.
  18. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Cajón. Semantics.

DrMole likes this.
  19. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Given the location, I think you get a pass on any fashion etiquette breaches.
    Well done on taking the big step from bedroom warrior to playing out...and for 2.5 hours without a trainwreck! That's impressive.

Apart from Mustang Sally, what else did you guys play?

Looking forward to further gig reports, which, just a heads-up, should include food and dancin' chick photos.

Mr_Moo, BassCliff, jamro217 and 8 others like this.
  20. Yeah, I spent some time in Singapore and Thailand. They only have two seasons in those latitudes. Hot with humidity and hotter with rain.