First gig last night

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by badboy1984, Dec 31, 2007.

1. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Played on my first gig in church last night during a new year eve event in church. Is not a long gig but is last approx 45min which is good experience.

I mess up on one of the song during medley due to the guitar player next to me mess up then i mess up because of listening to what he play =.=

I play the bass but we have no drummer so i do the time keeping.

I still feel bad messing up on that song.

But overall is a good experience to start my live playing.

Hope i will get better and get use to playing live etc.

2. I don't think there's a single bassist out there who doesn't make at least one mistake per show. But hope you enjoyed it. To me there's no greater thrill than performing for a crowd, especially at church related events (Mission trip takes the cake for that one!)

Enjoy and rock on!

3. 5andFretless

5andFretless Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Long Island Ny
    You meant once per song, right? :crying:

30 years and probably a thousand performances, and I still do something unintended every time.

4. +1000

5. Good to know boys, good to know... :)

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Get yourself a good drummer, and stick with him.

I've been playing with my current drummer for almost five years. I swear to God, when we screw up we do it together. That makes it less of a screwup and more of a "How'd they do that?" sort of thing.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Congrats. Don't worry, we all mess up. 30+years of playing and I still screw up!

8. I play at church too, and sometimes I throw in a run a couple of beats too early...:eek: In time I am sure you will find ways to walk yourself out of it. Since I have played there so long, the pianist and I lock like gears. We sometimes "mistake" together, though sometimes I am able to play through it and keep the choir singing.

Just know the key of the song. Ask if you don't know it. When or if you get lost you can "hover" on the key until you find your spot again.

It is church and they won't drag you outside and slap you around. (Not at my church any way.)

9. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Played 3 shows over 4 nights this past weekend, screwed up more times than I care to recall and we still got invited back next month, and the month after etc...

You did better your first time than me. I was playing a pretty popular club in Boston and was praying to God or whoever else was listening for a power failure so I didn't have to go on. 20 years later I pray for power failures when the set is too long and I have to go to the bathroom.

10. +1000

I always make an attempt to go just before the start of each set.
    It doesn't always work. :crying:
    It's hard to play when all you can think of is relieving yourself. :(
    Then someone wants to run a song or two out for an extended set....makes you wish for a looper....set that baby to loop and run for the head!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021