Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First gig...nailed it!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by squierplayer120, Feb 24, 2006.

1. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Okay so my school was hosting a Battle of the Bands...kay?
    Four bands competing:

The Comics: 4 piece ska-reggae group
    The Black Dawn Rising: 4 piece death metal screamo band
    Like 10: 4 piece cover band
    Killing California: power trio (my band)

So they all play...and they've got this ghetto Peavey rig...2 8's and an 18. I'm pushing my Jazz through this thing. It actually sounded good. All the bands play...and then we do. We start off with Moby Dick, our drummer being great, does a Dream Theater influenced solo...then we do Highway to Hell, which we nailed.

After that we did Blitzkrieg Bop to get the crowd on its feet. After that, we did an original that sounds like a cross between softer funk-rock with the chorus being thrash punk. I wrote and played an octave-Motown style line for it...fits perfectly. After that we played Fire by Hendrix and then a thrash metal original. The MC comes on and we win by a landslide.

The best comment of them all? "Bass and drums locked. It sounds like they've done this before." (we haven't) So we won 75 dollars to 2 local music stores, movie passes, and a 30 minute set at our town's local "fest."

And best yet...I'm only 14.

2. Good for you, man!

BTW, when I was fourteen, I was having trouble with Nirvana..:eyebrow:

3. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    what school in WI are you going to?

4. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    North Junior High in Menomonee Falls, we're playing at Falls Fest. It used to be North High School.

5. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    sweet. I went to Brookfield Central