1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first gig on Bass (Making the jump from Drums to Bass)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kennydakid, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kennydakid

kennydakid

Jan 8, 2009
    Amesbury, MA
    Hello all, I have been a member of the forums for a while (mostly for the band management forum) but I have recently made the jump from Drums to Bass.

I am 27 years old and have been playing drums for over 15 years. During that time I became a decent drummer. I never had the best chops but I always had decent rhythm and could keep time well. Most of my experience playing drums was as part of drive theory, a pop rock trio more in the vein of Jack Johnson/ John Mayer than "pop punk" group which played both covers and originals (you can hear our music at Drive Theory | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos

After some discord in the band concerning musical direction and a general feeling that our band of high school buddies had finally run its course we broke up (October 2011). I put down the drum sticks and basically stopped playing music for a few months. Earlier this month the guitarist/vocalist from my old band decided to put together a new band which would play praise music for a local church as a regular gig, but would also pursue original music shows. He had found a drummer and a lead guitarist but could not find a dependable bassist. He asked me if I would be interested in playing bass in his new project.

At that point in my life I had screwed around on bass (my younger brother owns one) and I have played a little guitar (I took some lessons in college as a course to help boost my GPA) but I had never performed a show on either Guitar or Bass.

Fast forward to last weekend, on Saturday the band met for the first time and worked through 5 praise songs, and on Sunday I was baptized by fire (the pun was sort of intended). We performed all 5 songs about as good as you could expect a band with one practice. My only mistake was forgetting that I had turned the volume knob on my bass down at the beginning of one song.

We were asked back and I am looking forward to continuing my bass journey. In order to perform this gig on such short notice with about 2 weeks worth of experience on bass I stuck to the root notes for the most part. We are playing again this weekend and the music, though still simple 4 or 5 chord songs, is a bit more complex than last weekend. I'll update this thread after our next performance on Sunday.

2. kennydakid

kennydakid

Jan 8, 2009
    Amesbury, MA
    We played 4 songs this sunday. The first 3 went well. On the 4th song I hit a bad note going into the bridge (hit an E instead of an f#) but I recovered well. So far things seem to be going well. We are up to 10 songs that we have worked out as a band now.

3. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    congrats kenny, I'm local...let me know where you're playing and maybe I can pop by