First Gig Question.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassist_Ben, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Hey Everyone,
    Soon it will be my first "gig" well not really but its playing at a school battle of the bands. And i am playing "holiday- green day" i want to know two things. Do green day have 2 guitarists in that song? If i stuff up during the solo what should i do?

2. please come someone help me
    lol that sounds funny
  3. che990

Feb 19, 2005
    Hey ben how's tricks?

Last time i saw Green day perform Holiday they played with another guitarist so he could solo whilst Billy played a backing ryhtem guitar so in answer to the two guitars yes it does help however I know of a local band who coverd this without the second and soloed with just the bass playing the backing, making it sound just as good. If you mess up in the solo like i did a few times just shrugg it off and continue to get back into it or improvise a small piece in the scale it will not mess it up if you play a bum note just focus and enjoy it! i'm sure it will go well and with practise for the solo's rythem you'll have it dialled for your gig and it should sound exellent hope this helps!!

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    We cover Holiday. It sounds fine without the 2nd guitar. My suggestion for you would be to play that line 6000X (and I'm not exaggerating) or more before the show, and know that you WON'T mess it up. Play it slow, play it fast, play it the right speed, play it with a metronome, play it in the bathroom, when you wake up, before bed - play it till your body memorizes it and you don't have to think in order to play it.

If the event happens that you do screw it up, which happens to everyone from time to time - it isn't the end of the world. The drums'll still be playing - you could cop out all together and clap your hands or something. So long as you look confident, and like "I meant to do that" it'll usually go over well. Screwing up and looking cool about it is a skill that usually comes with time and experience, but it's good to start practicing early on. :)

No matter what happens I always think a performance is about fun, not how perfectly you play things. Practice as thoroughly as you can, if you screw up, for whatever reason = believe it was meant to happen and you'll just grow and become a better player because of it. It's true. good luck.
  5. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Excellent advice!
    Practice it to death, so that your hands remember it.
    The reasons:
    a) You'll go into the show believing you can do it. If you're not sure you can do it, you'll be thinking about messing up, and you'll mess up.
    b) If your mind does wander for some reason, your hands will keep playing it. A lot of this comes down to a weird mind/body thing that all performers deal with.

If you do make a mistake, think ahead. Don't dwell on it for a millisecond.
    This may sound odd, but audiences are generally "on your side", hoping you will do well and hoping you are enjoying yourself. If you look uncomfortable, they get uncomfortable. So if you mess up, just let it go and keep putting out a confident vibe.
    There have been many times when I've smiled because I'm so embarassed by what I just did, or by how lame the whole thing is sounding, only to have people come up after the show and say, "Loved the smile! You looked like you were having so much fun up there!"

So: practice, practice, practice, then get up there and just let it happen.
    Good luck!
  6. Excellent advice all round.

One thing I always ensure I remember is this:

You are covering someone elses song. Your audience seriously don't mind if you don't get it exactly correct. Most people understand that you are playing a song that is most recognised by its recorded version.

Have fun with it, don't dwell if you make a mistake.

You'll be fine, mate!
  7. Remember, a wise man (can't remember who!) said:

An amateur pratices until he gets it right.

A professional practices until he never gets it wrong.

Also, if you do screw up on a section of the soloing, repeat the section you just played (including the screw up) and the audience will think you meant to do it anyway. ;) :D

Above all, though, ENJOY IT because that's why you are there, isn't it?

Dougjwray makes an excellent point too IMHO. The audience, on the whole, IS on your side and NOT there to pick holes in your playing. It's only other musicians who do that. :D :D