First gig report, but not my first gig:

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ELG60, Jul 28, 2021.

1. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    My friend, Christopher the trombonist, asked me to act as bass player for his turn as host bandleader at Pete's Place South. This is host, Shawn Brown's Jam.Shawn has played for the Blues Bros and is very prominent in our musical community.

As an aside, I believe that the Bay area has more open jams than just about anywhere else in the U.S. . . . Definitely per-capita.

We were joined by Pappa J (Jason Rosen) from NYC on guitar and vocals, Eddie Guion (who can play any instrument on stage, and well!) on sax, the house drummer, Ricardo Floyd, with whom I've always enjoyed playing, Christopher's wife Felicia, and son, Jr., on percussion, and a conga player whose name I don't know. Also, Jessy Rose sat in on trombone as well for our opening set. Shawn Brown did host duty on his B3 and Leslie cabinet.

I learned 10 songs for the gig, and between the opening and closing sets, we got to 9 of them iirc. Definitely some were out of my wheelhouse. but I had fun learning them, and even more fun playing with these cats, although I think that I've played with all of them over the last year or so, as I typically attend 3-4 jams a week.

My drive to the venue (15min or so):
    20210727_185332.jpg 20210727_190437.jpg 20210727_190430.jpg

I chose to bring this rig:
    20210727_193441.jpg

My chow (grouper bites and slaw):
    20210727_193509.jpg

Some screencaps from my videos which I'll post a link to my YouTube channel once I upload them later today:

Screenshot_20210728-004917_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-004742_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-005135_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-004957_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-004930_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-005127_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210728-005116_Video Player.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Sore Thumb, nixdad, JimK and 20 others like this.
  2. WI Short Scaler

WI Short Scaler Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Central WI
    Thanks for sharing!

ELG60 likes this.
  3. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Looks like you had fun, that’s awesome. Nice rig too!

We were on the verge of going back to regular gigs just a few weeks ago then we had a outbreak of Delta and were back in lockdown. At least another four weeks we’re told but will probably be to the end of September.

Haven’t played a gig for a year and a half, gee I miss it. Thanks for the great gig report.

ELG60 likes this.
  4. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Thank you for checking it out.

5. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I understand your frustration.

WI Short Scaler and Samatza like this.
  6. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm jealous. This area has no interest in live bands. Definitely no interested in paying to see live music. And what live music does come to the area is highly controlled and filtered by some clowns called "Iron Horse Entertainment Group". I love when I get to visit Florida, Texas, Nashville and other places where live music is appreciated and doing relatively well. Is it hard to get gigs there?

Congrats bro!

ELG60 likes this.
  7. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I'll be posting tonight's accidental gig shortly.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @ELG60,

Good stuff!

Man! I gotta get me a vertical 410 (or 412) setup. Is your rig sitting on an acoustic de-coupler?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    JRA and arbiterusa like this.
  9. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Yes, a Grama mat.

BassCliff likes this.
  10. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Laptop is down but from my phone that Conga player looks like renowned percussionist Allan Lott from Old West Tampa. He's a legend around these parts.If you get to see him again and that is him-get his number. He's the guy you want to build a rhythm section around. A stage and studio pro.

11. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Thank you! I most certainly will.

12. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Here's the link to my accidental gig of the following evening:
    The accidental gig

13. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Probably a subsidiary of Whitey's old outfit. ;) . . . Allegedly

Basslice likes this.
  14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    My favorite gigs. Got a feeling whenever I get to start up again those days of the 15 minute commute might be over, but that’s fine. I’ll drive to play.

So I have equal parts envy and terror of your vertical stack. Not having bass shot into your knees has got to be great. But that looks like exactly the kind of setup I would pull down/knock over by the first set. I gotta come clean; I’m both a klutz and have genuine inner ear balance issues. How stable is that setup, in your opinion (it obviously works for you, but picture a stumbler like me - how would I do with it?)

Good first gig report!

ELG60 likes this.
  15. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    That's a legitimate concern and I share it to some extent. In my case, drunken patrons and/or buzzed players would be the issue. I would only stack it this way if it were somewhat protected . . . Against a wall or out of the way.

The cool thing about the Barefaced Two 10's is that they can be stacked vertically or horizontally although the latter gives a boomier, or slightly darker coloration and if I understand their website correctly, the vertical stack provides better linear dispersion.

@alexclaber can certainly provide better insight should he choose to do so. ;)

To answer your actual question, obviously it will be a lot more stable with a lower, wider center of gravity, but it's not wobbly or unduly top-heavy with my class D stuff and the power conditioner weighs almost nothing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    JRA likes this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

great setup/rig you have going --- and you look like you're handling the objective really well in those pics! "grouper bites and slaw" is perfect and looks 'yum'! ;)

the whole evening sounds like too much fun, thanks for sharing that gig experience! :thumbsup:

ELG60 likes this.
  17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    You don't need to stack the Two10S cabs vertically - in fact I'd argue that they should be stacked horizontally (ie landscape on landscape) unless you're having trouble with the room sounding boomy. That's why the badges are that way around. Stacking them vertically doesn't change the dispersion, it just shifts part of the Hybrid Resonator tuning, tightening up the lows, changes the baffle step frequency so there's a bit less low midrange and changes the floor boundary reinforcement slightly.

I notice many people who own Two10S cabs use them vertically and I do wonder if they've really tried them the default way around, or if the problems with conventional 2x10" cabs have led them to believe that this different 2x10" has to be rotated to the vertical for decent polar response? Trust your ears, not your eyes!

Sore Thumb and ELG60 like this.
  18. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Thank you for your elucidation!

alexclaber likes this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Nice RIG.
    Thanks for sharing.

ELG60 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021