1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig this saturday

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by OnlyMe, Mar 22, 2006.

1. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    After taking a break of about 6 years, I found a new band and my first gig with them will be on saturday. Normally I'm always calm about those kind of things, but seeing that it's been such a long time, I'm already kinda nervous right now :p

I've been with this band since the beginning of the year, and we'll be playing about 50 songs on this gig... I hope I can remember all the little details! So wish me luch and uurr, anybody got any tips in case I make a small mistake? :)

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Good luck! Don't sweat the little mistakes.

3. Just take it as a given that there will be bumps... That's what makes 'sticking to it' worth-while! Have a blast! There is nothing more fun then standing on stage and jamming tunes that you and the crowd enjoy! Remember to smile, move, make eye contact and don't sweat the little things.

--tz

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Accept that you are going to make mistakes. It's not important. Just play through them.

Enjoy it.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just what I was going to say. Just accept it now. You aren't going to remember every little nuance and part. Most you will remember about 3 seconds after you didn't do them. Just be aware that with the possible exception of your bandmates, almost NO ONE will notice. Have a great time playing, and don't sweat the small details. They'll come back to you as you continue to gig.

6. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    Thanx for the pick-me-up guys. Although I'm nervous about it, I'm also very much looking forward to it. With rehearsals (did I spell that correctly :p) leading up to this, I realised how much I actually missed doing gigs.

And as far as the little mistakes go, I found a fun piece of advice on these boards. Somebody wrote: 'Remember, if you make a mistake, give the guitarplayer a dirty look' :D :bassist:

I'll drop by after the weekend and let you guys know how it went.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yes - please update us. It will be fun to hear about your great time.

8. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Good luck, and congrats on getting back into things.

9. sully812

sully812

Mar 12, 2006
    Good "luch" ;)

10. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Just do your best and you'll be fine...don't forget to smile a lot too!

11. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I just had my first real gig ever last week...its posted here under oh boy and the adventure begins. before last weekend i played in a crappy band in high school who knew 3 songs and really just made up jams. We played in a bowling alley once in front on a few friends and at a couple of parties with friends just jamming...really bad at that.That was 25 years ago....untill last week at 44 yrs of age i finally got on stage for real with my band i have been practicing for 9 months with. We played a St Pats Party at a club in front of a big crowd and it was great...pure rush like a drug to me! I was really calm and focused on my job and making the band and myself look good ....so should you...do your best to be prepared and relax and have fun and it will be great....belive me if i can do it anyone can...i had a few flubs out of 30 songs but nobody said a word about them or seamed to notice so relax and do it ...i have another gig in 3 weeks and cant wait ....it gets in your blood real quick!

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Great post.

And it sure does. :)