First Gig Tips

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Jan 14, 2002.

1. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    my first gig is on the 20th in South Gate. We have a pretty short set (25mins) but then again we only have 30 mins on stage. we open with "reigning blood" followed by 20 mins. of our own stuff (mostly metal). Do you have any tips or something
  2. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    reign in blood=raining blood
  3. Just be yourself. If you're not, it'll show.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Deactivate standby switches before playing. Make sure your cord isn't in a trippable area. Bring a spare. New batts in FX and preamps. Don't skip soundcheck (assuming there is one). Secure your instrument with straplocks. Tune. No touching mike stands with ground lifted on amp. Keep beverages away from electrics. Stow all baggage in overhead compartments; enjoy the show.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's a doozy to see. Believe me. Friend did that...lucky he just got zapped and fell on his butt, still able to play...
    Talk to the person running the sound board, and take their advice.

I once played a gig where the band before use had a Bass player that was really good (better than I, for sure).
    However, he treated the sound man like S**T and acted like a rockstar a**h*le. I, one the other hand said to the sound guy "Dude, what should I do? I mean it's your house. I was to sound like thunder". Well, guess who sounded like poo-poo and who sounded like thunder?

Remember, the soundman is your friend.
  7. what do you mean about the grounding of your amp whiole touching a mic stand?
    sorry if i seem out of it.
  8. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Just wondering jvasquez18, Can your drummer do the double kick for raining blood?

Oct 3, 2000
    hey good luck for ya gig I have my first gig on the 20th also and I know that I'm gonna kick ass thanx to everyone else for some cool tips and I'll be sure to use them cheers guys
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Where you playin' home-fry? I'll come by to see ya.
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wear a belt. At one of my first gigs I forgot to wear a belt. Of course my pants fell off. Bring extra everything if possible. Someone will manage to forget something.
  12. I'm not sure how else this might happen, but I played with a faulty lead for a while, and I believe I had this problem.This meant my amp was earthing through me whenever my hands were in contact with the strings and my lips were in contact with my mic... quite often as it happened... I kept getting zapped on my lips... not very pleasant! Unfortunately this coincided with a change of P.A so I thought that must be the problem!

I think Christopher pretty much covered everything....remember to enjoy yourself!
  13. Yeah, my band got our first gig in 2 weeks, and we just had our drums repossed and my bass and our demo tape was eaten up by a **** boombox. Oh well, as long as we have a set list and there are some friends who could lend us the equipment and more friends who're there at the show, we'll do good. If the support is there and you have a good time playing music you like, you won't care of drunk ****head who talks crap and you should leave feeling great.

Oh it also helps NOT to try and relax yourself with a few vodka shots beforehand too
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I think Purplechains may have it, though a little less subtle than most.

If nothing else, remember to just rock on the music. Don't worry to much about the lighting, the way people are acting, just play the music.

As for tips, do a search, there is a wealth of info on the subject. Search this form, and "first gig tips" and you'll have hours of hints and tips from guys who've been gigging for years.
  15. I don't wear a belt anymore on purpose. We have one kind of sappy love song, actually all of our songs are sappy love songs, but there's one in particular where I've started making a point of getting half naked during it.

Its funny when you're up on stage rocking out and the club owner walks by then does a double take when he sees your flabby pale white ass bouncing on stage.
  16. is it a crowd pleaser thomas? :D
  17. The crowd seemed to appreciate it but it made me decide i need to work out. watching the tape later i decided I looked like a slightly straighter overweight mango
  18. Waste

Sep 16, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    one big thing for me when my band Wastegate on our first show was to all be together and spend some pre-show time with one another. It's a good decision to make sure that everyone is confident and excited and ready to go. and...make sure your chords are plugged in!