Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First gig tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Havoc, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Well, the time has come for my first gig. Me and some friends are playing at the christmas ball at our school. These are the songs:

Knocking on Heavens Door (Guns n Roses)
    Fade to black (Metallica)
    Sweet child o mine (GNR)
    Patiens (GNR)

I'm nervous as hell... Just got back from a 7 hour rehersal. Fingers crossed for the gig! Cheers mates!

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Congrats and good luck! Seriously, train wrecks aside, enjoy the moment. You WILL remember it forever, I know I have. Mine was a mess, :D but it is still a fond memory some 30yrs+ later.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea... Good luck buddy! I wish we had alive band playing those songs at my school dances :( hehehe. See if you can record the show and post it!

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Go get 'em, enjoy it. Rock out the with your C*ck out :)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No no no...leave it in, please! But have a good time!

6. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    You'll do fine - look at it this way - you guys have actually been practicing!

You'll be amazed at the energy you get from the crowd. Don't be afraid to get into it!

7. Hyrulegal

Hyrulegal

Dec 12, 2005
    Good luck havoc! I know you'll do great :D
    every one gets nervous so just enjoy yourself
    and if you mess up don't worry, just
    do what I do when I make a mistake or forget something, do some wierd dance and make it look like part of the
    show! It works for anything well.....almost anything....

College teacher: well michaela, I trust you have your presentation ready?
    Me: wah? you mean today?! Right now?!
    Teacher: yes if you remember, last week I told you to have a presentation ready for wednesday, it's wednesday today. And since every one else has done theirs it's your turn.
    Me: (mutters)aw man..... (steps up to front of the class) well.....erm....this is a presentation on (face goes blank) what was the topic again?
    Teacher: .....an explanation on meta-ethics
    Me: (makes a face like "holy s**t! what's that about")yes , that.......well...um....(looks around at the faces of the class).....um....you see..meta-ehics...it's kinda like...it's sorta..um..(suddenly breaks into a ho'down, goes on for a good 5 minutes)
    Teacher:........................ :eek:
    Me:yeah!!!!(jazz hands)
    Teacher: nice try michaela (writes something down) that's an F, you're not going to ashley simpson your way out of this one.
    Me: (mutters) crap.....it worked in biology

8. Just got back from the gid! It went great!!! We where standing behind the curtain, turning on the amps, playing some notes to check the sound, and the crowd started screaming!! When the curatains went up, the crowd was stacked in front of the stage, and on the first song, Knocking on heavens door, the crowd went crazy! (GNR is big at my old school) And they sang the entire song! We kind of messed up Fade to black (the singer forgot what to sing), so the gitar player gave me a nod, and we just skipped that verse, pluss I messed up on one part. On Sweat Child o mine, a kid got on stage, and made a stage dive! And on Patience, everybody was slow-dancing in front of the stage. MAN it was great! What a rush! AND,later, we did an encore on Knocking on heavens door and Patience, same result as the first time. One word, WOW! :hyper:

9. You where so right! WOW!

10. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Man that's cool! You got to play four songs and then an encore! Did you get some pics or vid???

POST 'EM!!!

:bassist:

11. I don't think there is any vid... Maby some bad cellphone camera vids, but i'm not sure. But I'l try to get my hands on some pics.