1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

first gig tonight and not feeling 100%.. any tips?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Feb 22, 2008.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Just my luck that on my first gig night I am coming down with something :p

No fever yet so It should be ok, got swollen tonsils, cold and all that jazz. The biggest problem is that it has zapped my energy so that I am tired much quicker than normal.

So that being said, any tips on getting a bit of an energy "boost" on the night to get me through the gig? At practice I am usually full of energy and bouncing around and I dont want to just sit there thinking "when will this end" I want to enjoy it with the crowd. I was thinking maybe a coffee for a nice caffeine boost or even a red bull, I only need it to last about an hour :cool: what is your favourite booster? :ninja:

Also any tips on what else I can try to speed up recovery? :D
    So far I have:
    - Antibacterial Throat losengers
    - Honey/Lemon tea
    - Sea salt gargle
    - vitamins: Multi, C
    - fresh fruit
    - Lots of Water

2. dmilt23451

dmilt23451

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas TX
    I would say get a vodka red-bull at the gig and your adreline will work out the rest of the kinks...especially since it is your first gig...

3. Depending on what you're playing I sometimes find the gig itself gives me an energy boost. I drink a bit and I don't even feel much effect from alcohol until afterwards.

But yeah, do what you're doing already and maybe take a short nap before the gig (wake up, say, an hour before you have to play) to help give you a little more energy.

4. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Something that contains Echinacea purpurea, a nap if possible (30 minutes can do wonders), and Red Bull (but don't drink everything at once). Good luck!

5. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I remember being sick at a gig once. The crowd was really cool, and I really got into it, completely forgeting that I was sick, except for taking the occasional throat lossenge (sp?). I felt it the next morning though.

6. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I hope someone will help you with your loading in and out. Loading is no fun when you aren't well.

7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

ZYCAM and relax

8. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks for the replies!

Good point but it shouldn't be too bad. my rig is a total of a 1x15 combo then through the house PA, I also have one of those handy fold up trolleys so I don't have to haul it :cool:

Thats what I want to do, I don't care about the next morning really haha. I should have heaps of people I know in the crowd so that should help pump me up as long as they get into it :D

A few people have also suggested a nap, which I think is a good idea. I have to be at load in at 7pm but we don't go on till ~11pm as we are headlining so I can't really nap between then :p I can chill out in the beer garden though.

I am thinking J├Ągerbomb if anything alcoholic, which is pretty much red bull anyway haha

Thats the plan for the next few hours :cool:

9. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    non-drowsy cold medicine.

Once I had a cold and a tennis match (in high school.) I took some medicine, and I was wide awake and moving. I was playing my best game ever, then suddenly the medicine wore off and I was slow and sick again. I lost.

10. Instead of Red Bull, go with one of those energy drinks loaded with B-12 and other B-complex vitamins. Take some vitamin C and have a cough drop in your mouth while you're playing.

11. zinc.

12. tumpinjahosafat

tumpinjahosafat Guest

Nov 11, 2006
    heres the best thing you can do TRUST ME

AIRBORNE

its a little disolvling pill that you put in water you can get it at any convience store, grocery store, cvs, walgreens, target. It will help yuou get alot alot alot of energy and will boost your immune system alot. Anytime i feel like im getting sick i take it and i feel fine, it helps you get out of ruts. QUICK GO BUY IT BEFORE THE SHOW

good luck man

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    There's a product called Airborne, it's an immune booster. Works like a champ.

14. fenderbass757

fenderbass757

Aug 20, 2007
    I was recently diagnosed with leukemia. I just started taking this medicine which would wipe me out. I would work a 4 hour day (because thats all my energy would allow me to work) go home and lay on the couch. eat dinner then i would be in bed between 8 or 9.

now i was playing a gig that didnt start till 10pm and ran till 130-2am

theres this engery drink called cocaine. its basically red bull x 3.5

i drank 2 of those before the gig and i drank 3 red bulls throughout the night.

i was ready to drop right after our last set but all those energy drinks got me through.

15. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Hey Fenderbass, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It is great that you are still able to play :). I am not sure where you can source Cocaine the drink here as it has been banned from what I know and there is no way you would find it in your local shops but if you know your sources I am sure there is a way.

In terms of the gig last night, the gig went sweet and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Had a cup of tea before our set.. partly to warm my hands partly for the throat, pretty rock and roll I must say. Then I bought a red bull and I was sipping it during the set to give me some more energy. By the time I got to the venue I was feeling pretty good after my "intensive healing regimen" in any case so I was getting into the music and the adrenaline and that helped as well.

All in all a great first gig, cant wait for the next one :bassist::bassist:

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    ZINC is great stuff man. It's natural and will kick the ass of anything attacking your throat.

Other than that, I say just have a great gig. A lot of times when I've performed very ill, I feel better after the gig than I did before, and recover quickly.

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    get as much vitamin c and eccinecha (sp) as u can. what u dont use ur body will piss out

18. KRSplat

KRSplat

Nov 11, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Try doing some excercise, it gets my heart pumping when I feel drained and groggy. You're probably going to have to run on pure adrenaline and drugs... which is perfect, since all rockstars do that anyway. ;)

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm sure that even though you feel ******, you still feel better than keith richards on a good day.

go rock out and quit being a pu$$y haha

20. Yeah dude, there is a pill out there called "suck it up". take one and rock the **** out.