first gig update

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by old_skool, May 19, 2001.

1. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    even though only one person replied i thought i would give you all an update to the show i played yesterday. i was so damn nervouse. all the other bands were playing slow 60s rock or just one guys with an acoustic, there was one punk band and a ska band that added a little flavour to the mix, but my band was the only metal/rock band. the second we all walked on stage all i can hear is " we want dick " wich is the name of our band. it was awesome, people had posters made and they were going nuts. keep in mind this is my bands first gig, EVER. right when i walked on stage i stopped being nervouse, i saw all my friends and i knew it was cool. i went totally crazy, i cant wait to play again next week.
  2. sounds like a great gig man! Good job! :D
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is the name of your band "dick" or "we want dick"?
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Congratualtions on having such a postive experience on your very first gig! There's hardly any greater euphoria than the one of having played a highly successful gig. It is addictive, too, and inspires you to want to try even harder and to work really hard to get more gigs.
  5. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    thanks guys. it was such a rush, i was having so much fun. people really seemed to like it too. your right about wanting to play more. we play again on the 24th, cant wait! there was a down side to all of this though. one of the drummers from the other bands was a complete jerk. right when we all came off stage he gets in my face and starts yelling at me. telling me we all suck, have big heads, think were all that, we own the place, and we shouldnt be allowed to play anymore. i was completely floored. if it wasnt a skool function i would have decked the kid. aside from that it was tons of fun.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Congratulations! The hardest gig is always your first. Glad it was a good one....of course, now you're hooked!
  7. Hey Old Skool, don't let a simple minded moron [you know, a drummer...(now before I get bashed by any drummers out there, let it be known that most of my musical life I have BEEN a drummer, hehe)] cast a cloud over the exhiliration (sp?) of a good gig. I've been in similar situations before myself.. I remember this one time a few days ago, some band gets off stage and I run up to the bassist and tell him how much his band sucked, and they all had big heads thinking they owned the place and all. I really showed him! :D

Seriously, good job. And make the next one even better!
  8. way to go man.
    my first gig was 2 weeks ago on thursday, and it was a battle of the bands. we were the 2nd last band and i was nervous as hell, but once i started playing, i was fine.

also, we won, which was pretty cool.
  9. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Man, all you first-timers sound like your having better luck than I. I had my first "gig", really just sitting in for three tunes for a "jam night", just last week. It was a jam night, featuring some of the Cleveland area's finest musicians. These guys were all playing for each other - most have been at it for over 20 years or so. I thought I was old at 40, most of these guys were pushing 50 and had been playing pro for many decades. And here's dumb-a** me, playing for barely 14 mos. I guess I hung in for a couple of standard blues tunes.

But noone threw rocks or beer bottles at us, so I'll be back tonight for another "jam night". Maybe I'll get to play four tunes this time?!
  10. Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    Glad it was a good one for ya, that appluase and energy is addictive isn't it.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Old Skool, don't let that drummer bother you. He sounds like he may have been threatened and overcome with envy. Maybe he even wishes he could be in your band. Regardless of his reasons though, he was acting like a jerk. In a way, his rudeness is an indication of your success, because had your band been as bad as he claimed, he would not have wasted his time to even speak to you. Yup, it looks like he sees you as a threat.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Talk about a dick .... LOL.
  13. I reckon you guys should change your name to "We want Dick" its funny and very catchy.

Good to hear about the gig, can't wait to do y bands first.