FIRST GIG - who, what, where, why, when, how?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jaswine85, May 20, 2003.

1. My band has our first gig in a week. What kinda of stuff do we need to bring that isnt really that obvious? Impedence converters?...what besides our instruments and amps? Thanks.
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You'll never regret bringing heavy duty extension cords and power strips.

Duct tape is ALWAYS a good idea, but keep a good eye on so it doesn't walk away. That happens to duct tape a lot.

A change of strings for both you and the guitarist is a good idea, and having a backup bass/guitar is even better. That way you don't have to take the time to change the strings if something breaks.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What are you doing for PA? If renting, they will provide all the direct boxes, xlr cables and such. You will still need an additional guitar cable if running your bass through a DI. Its always a good idea to carry along a case or bag with a few extra guitar cables just in case one goes bad at the gig.

Also bring a few spare 9v batteries if your pedals or bass uses them. Spare strings. I always keep a spare cheapie guitar strap in my case (after 10 years, I needed one a few months ago when my strap mysteriously broke right in the middle of a song). Duct tape, extension cords, power strips and spare pack of strings as mentioned above. A spare towel or two to wipe off sweat if its hot. Small flashlight. A pad of paper and a black Sharpie marker sometimes come in handy. Business cards/fliers in case someone else expresses and interest in hiring you. A spare clean, dry shirt (nothing worse than driving home after a gig in a soaking wet, cold sweaty shirt). I'm sure there are some other things I'm missing, but this is a pretty good start.
  4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Just do what I do and make a checklist

Duct Tape
    Spare cables
    Pen and Paper
    Extension Cord
    Power Strip
    Spare Strings
    Instrument Cable(s)
    Speaker Cable(s)
    Guitar Stand(s)
    Water Bottle with cap
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Don't forget to bring one of those adapter doohickeys that convert a three prong power plug so that it can fit in a 2 prong outlet. I always bring one in case I play in older venues where they don't have grounded outlets.
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So how'd the gig go, Jas?
  7. The key to the power cord is that it is heavy. We have blown our PA twice by running it through too weak and long a cord to carry enough juice before we figured out what caused it.

Extra strings is always a good idea if you don't have a spare bass.
  8. Keep a small flashlight in your kit too - I suggest one of those mini Maglites - they can be life savers when you're trying to do a quick diagnosis on a dark corner of a stage.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    An extra pack of foam earplugs, to give to the bar staff and such people who work there but might not have brought their own.
  10. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Don't forget a small wirecutter/needle nose pliers, and extra 9volts.