1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First gig with Am Stnd P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass32, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Played my first gig tonight with my new 2012 American Standard Precision V. Man I loved it it. Big sound. Plenty of bottom and every note cut through the the mix nice and clear, but not over bearing. You not only could hear the bass, but you could feel it as well.
    Had several people compliment me on it's looks, Candy Cola with a maple neck. I also changed the white pg out with a white pearl.
    The sound man loved it as well as all the guys in the band.
    I've played active Jazz 5 strings for over 20 years. Glad I'm back with a passive p-bass now.

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

+1 bass32. That sounds like a nice lookin one too. Congrats! :bassist:

Rezdog

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Love my Precision V. I have to rotate it in & out with my 2002 Precision. They're both great but the P-V was special right out of the box.

Worth every penny.

4. O-evetS

O-evetS I like pie!

Jul 6, 2003
    Rochester NY
    Swapping out the pick guard for a white pearl seems to be a popular mod with this color. I did the same thing on my Candy Cola P5.

5. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Just home from playing the second night of the weekend gig. Still very satisfied with the bass. Easy to play and the sound is just amazing. The way it cuts through and that big old thump that only a p-bass can deliver.
    I own a CS Jazz V that is a fantastic bass. I have used it as my main bass for the past year, but for personal reasons I decided to stop using it on live gigs. Just this past December I purchased a Squier VM V as a backup bass. I upgraded all the electronics and it is a really good bass for the money, but not one I would like to use for my main bass.
    That's why last month I decided to purchase the Am Stnd P5 and it's proving to be a good decision for me.
    Fender added the Mystic Blue/maple and Mystic Red/rosewood to the Am Stnd line this year and dropped the Candy Cola/maple. Dropping the Candy Cola doesn't seem to make much sense to me since it does seem to be a popular choice. Dealers are running low on the Candy Cola and they are getting harder to find. Mine was the last one my dealer had.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll thank them for doing that in 30 years ;)

7. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I can't speak for a gig yet but mine really is sweet at full practice through the Markbass rig. What gear and volumes were you running?

8. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I use a Hartke 5500 amp and a Hartke Hydrive 4x10 cabinet.
    In my rack I have a Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner, Sennheiser freePORT wireless, Korg DT-1 Pro Digital Tuner, dbx 160XT Compressor/Limiter and the amp. I also use a ZOOM B2, Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus pedal and a SansAmp BDDI.
    I get a great sound out of the rig but honestly, it's just a glorified stage bass monitor for me since I run direct to the board out of the SansAmp.
    I run the volume and tone wide open on the bass. The SansAmp level is set at about 2 o'clock (about 12 o'clock when using the active Jazz bass), the dbx output gain is at 0 and the master volume on the Hartke is just under 3. Like I said the rig is basically a stage bass monitor for me, so these levels are usually set close to same no matter the size of the venue.

[​IMG]

9. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Nice setup. What strings are you running and are you keeping them on it or looking to change?

10. bass32

bass32

Jan 30, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I've been using the Fender 8250-5M. The same ones the bass comes with.
    My CS Jazz came with them and after a couple of weeks I changed them to GHS Boomers, which I had used for years. A couple of weeks later I changed back to the Fenders. Just thought they sounded better on the CS. Feel was about the same with both sets.
    I'll probably experiement with some different types of strings on this bass, but I'm ususally the type that thinks if it aint broke don't fix it. So far I am satisfied with the 8250-5M's. They're working for me.

What type are you using?

11. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Am using Sadowsky Black stainless round lites. Everyweek I plan to change them then I go to practice and they sound and feel so good I just leave them on. I'll wait a gig or two but they'll probably stay on it until they die.