1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig with new band last week

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tlwaps, Jul 23, 2007.

1. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    So last Wedensday we played this local show with some other bands at this hole in the wall bar. Now when we were first offered the show we were told everything was cool, well a week later we were kicked off the bill, then back on, then back off, then back on, then back off and finally back on the night before. Anyway, we show up to the show and start loading in and i'm looking at the stage thinking to myself "I've played on worse but this ****in' sucks." Seriously, the stage was about 20 feet long and every bit of 4-4.5 feet wide with no monitors at all. I couldn't hear anybody except for the singer and my bass. It was terrible. Then on top of that my cable going into my bass kept getting caught on my jeans and coming loose so that pissed me off even more. Then my volume knob falls off of my bass and I have to switch to my back up bass to finish out the set which was only 2 songs. We were told that it would be a "bad ass show" by the band that set everything up yet there was maybe 40 people max including the bands. If that's their idea of a "bad ass show" i'd like to know what a show where there's only 100 people there would be. Overall, everybody had a good time and it's great to that first show out of the way. We were offered to play at that place a couple more times, but we're not to sure if we should or not. Hopefully from now on the shows will be better and so will my playing. I was so disgusted with my playing but I did my best without hearing anybody except for myself and the singer. For some reason the guys in my band wanted to throw in this new song we finished writing not even a week before the show; needless to say we all messed it up at one point or another. Anywho, sorry for the long post just wanted to vent about our first show and see if anybody else has had some terrible experiences.

2. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Rites of passage into the gigging world. I think everyone has had a experience like that.