1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First gig with new band (rant)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Aug 4, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    I had my first gigging experience with my new band last night and it was terrible. :rollno:

First, there was the pre-gigging mishaps.

First was the phone call at 10 that morning, telling me to be outside right now. Mind you I had a show the previous night and didn't get in till roughly 4:30-5am; not to mention that there was no plan for them to be at my house at all that day. Curious to see what was up I went outside and there was the drummer saying I had to pack up my stuff in his SUV. Too tired to argue I loaded up my SVTs and I was given 15 minutes to shower and get ready for the show (which happened to be at 8)

After all that we practiced till about 6 and we were bringing all our stuff outside to get loaded up. They only had the drummers SUV for all our equipment and it was then broken to me that they had no room for my gear. I was kinda pissed they wanted my gear at the studio and then didn't have a plan to get it to the gig (which is about an hour or so away)

I had to call up my friend to pick me up for their show. While waiting for him to arrive, the drummer got into a fight with his father and threatened to cancel the show.

We get there at 10 to 8, and the show starts at 8. So we hurry to set up, do a quick sound check (where it turns out my bass was waaay too loud) and then start out with the set.

After having me learn a ridiculous amount of songs in 2 weeks (more than 60) you'd think they'd have their songs down pat, but the guitarist kept missing entire sections and the drummer kept missing beats.

After the show I loaded everything into my friends truck and told them I had to go in 20 minutes, sorry, but my girlfriend was there and we were going out to dinner. They didn't have a problem with it, but then texted me to find them chicks.:confused: I am not a pimp:eyebrow:

My friends that showed up told me that they didnt expect me to be playing that kind of music, and it made me realize how much I didn't like what I was playing (for the most part)

sorry for the rant but I just had to vent. Should I stick around for one more gig or should I just call it quits now?

2. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    sounds like a toal lack of professionalism from them. I would doubt if they improve for the next show but who knows? how badly do you need this gig? if you have other options of playing music i would definitley move up to a better band.

3. !Rob!

!Rob!

Mar 2, 2007
    Sorry 'bout your luck bud...I have a rule when I join bands "I'll do this until it's not fun anymore", sounds like it came early for you.

I guess askin' you to find me some chicks is out of the question eh?....kidding...:scowl: